AMD 2600
1 GIG of RAM
Radeon 9800 PRO
Biostar m7vit Pro board
LG DVD +/- burner (on th fritz)
Sony DVD burner (brand new)
HDD(s) 120 GB and 160GB
Running XP Pro

The issue I am having is when I open my Sony drive it accesses the HDD (HDD activity light blinks) and slows down the performace of my computer; my LG works fine. This was occurring when I had just a regular cd-rom in there as well (thus it shouldnt be the drive). I have switched the drives settings (from master to slave and vise versa) to no avail. I have also tried another cable and another power supply(450 Watt). Unless it is the motherboard i cant think of anything else it could be. Any ideas people?

Well from what I know about Sony, I bet they had you install some software with the drive into windows that wasn't exactly neccisary. The LG probably didn't, that's why it is not accessing your drive like the Sony.

But, is it like noticably slow? I mean if you're inserting a DVD into the thing windows is going to take a couple seconds to read it and stuff and decide what to do with it...

There was actually no software (didnt even install the Nero software that came with it). I do understand that it takes a few minutes to pickup and read the cd, but this is not the issue. For example if i was watching a dvd it is contantly accessing my primary controller slowing down the system quite a bit (trying to load just regular pages in explorer (just files from my HDD) takes about 30 seconds).
Now this is not just with the Sony drive but also with a generic 56X cdrom drive as well. Also the drive doesnt read the disk half the time while the LG works perfect. I have formatted and tested without installing anything else yet it still does the same thing. I have checked all settings on my MB but can not find anything that would cause this. I have also tested the Sony drive in another computer and it works great (I just wish i could use it in my computer :mad: )
about the only thing i could think of is power supply though im only using about 80% or motherboard incompatibility or something has gone on it. It has to be one of the strangest things I have seen so far. Just trying the brilliant brains here to see if anyone can come up with something I havent tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom