Alienware weird RAM description

Status
Not open for further replies.
Igetshockedalot said:
LMAO!!! I thought I understood RAM when this thread started... But after watching the battle of the brains my head hurts and I need a beer. BTW, that RAM diagram was great.

Lol, glad you're having fun. And Chris, I finally understand the RAM diagram.

I'm going to end this BS right now. After this, I'm leaving this thread.

DDR SDRAM is a lot like regular SDRAM (Single Data Rate) but its main difference is its ability to effectively double the clock frequency without increasing the actual frequency, making it substantially faster than regular SDRAM. This is achieved by transferring data not only at the rising edge of the clock cycle but also at the falling edge. A clock cycle can be represented as a square wave, with the rising edge defined as the transition from ‘0’ to ‘1’, and the falling edge as ‘1’ to ‘0’. In SDRAM, only the rising edge of the wave is used, but DDR SDRAM references both, effectively doubling the rate of data transmission. For example, with DDR SDRAM, a 100 or 133 MHz memory bus clock rate yields an effective data rate of 200 MHz or 266 MHz, respectively.

THIS ENDS THIS.

The speed of DDR is usually expressed in terms of its "effective data rate", which is twice its actual clock speed. PC3200 memory, or DDR400, or 400 MHz DDR, is not running at 400 MHz, it is running at 200 MHz. The fact that it accomplishes two data transfers per clock cycle gives it nearly the same bandwidth as SDRAM running at 400 MHz, but DDR400 is indeed still running at 200 MHz.

Now now, we can't have a 60 post thread and not answer the initial question;

Alienware is wrong, they need to change their description.

The speed of DDR is usually expressed in terms of its "effective data rate", which is twice its actual clock speed
And i just ended your rant as well. If Alienware is "wrong" then tell every single store, prebuilt company, online store, whole sale and everything else i didnt mention to stop "false advertising". Now i just ended it.

P.P. Mguire said:
And i just ended your rant as well. If Alienware is "wrong" then tell every single store, prebuilt company, online store, whole sale and everything else i didnt mention to stop "false advertising". Now i just ended it.

That person means when you're talking about "DDR-something" not "something-MHz."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom