Liquid Cooling to be done by someone else...

Status
Not open for further replies.
the links failed to connect because I copied and pasted it...normally those dots you see in there (at the end where it say .....name.jpg) shouldn't be there, and when you click on it in the actual Xtremesystems forums those won't be there and the links would work.

Here:

http://www.cox-internet.com/weapon/images/302MountSide3.jpg

http://www.cox-internet.com/weapon/images/shroudfuncutout2.1.jpg

http://www.cox-internet.com/weapon/images/shrdcoreblumet.jpg

http://www.cox-internet.com/weapon/images/rev2.1shrdfinal.jpg

First one I ever put together was the bigwater...it sucked....then I went to dangerden and have had to take this one apart on a few seperate occasions.....all it is is putting everything where you want it, then connecting it with the tubing.....it's impossible to make a jigsaw puzzle out of it honestly.

Doesn't take very long to set up...anywhere from 30mins to an hour depending on if you've done it before, how carefully you work etc...etc....I forget how long it took me because last time I did it, I was doing a bunch of other things in my case as well, but assuming you have the pump and heatercore mounted, and your water blocks installed it doesn't take very long to simply cut the tubing the right length and slide it on a barb and clamp it down.

Ram fixed.

I will have to figure out exactly which components I want to get first. I am thinking the Heat Core, then the GPU coolers.

I know you said there was no nead to cool the ram sinks on the GPU's, but if I can get a block that cools them wouldn't it be better?

After that I think I will get the CPU block and tubing. Jave you tried different types of liquid for cooling? If so, which ones have you gotten better results with?

I had to call tech support to get my ram running at the 667 range it is supposed to. They told me with the MB and PS I have I can set the ram to 800 safely and it will run stable with no problems.

I will hold off on the pump until I have everything else, as maybe a new bigger better pump will come out that you may recommend.

Have you ever heard of anyone making the cooling system I am trying to design? I want to design one that works very well, without water, and is nice to look at also. I would like to eventualy design one that almost appears to be non-existant. I was thinking a heatlane leading from the cpu die and going to a therma sink ( basically a combination of a special heat sink where there is a liquid filled bottom that is sealed with a vacuum). With these sinks it does not matter where the heat source comes into contact because the vacuum and liquid force the heat to be distributed evenly along the sink. As a spot cools off, the heat is taken from other spots and pushed to the cooler spot. Rather interesting stuff. The heatlane is supposed to be something like 10 times more efficient than a heat pipe. I have my heat pipes, just getting the heat lane and therma sink are proving difficult. I have been told they would send me some samples for testing purposes, but it will be a wait of something like 3 weeks. Time sux.

Also, I have looked for Weapon, but have not been able to locate an email adress. Am I missing something?

do they have liquid cooling blocks for socket 939 processors or is that irellivant? idk the compatibility issues and if its a socket thing or not.

I know you said there was no nead to cool the ram sinks on the GPU's, but if I can get a block that cools them wouldn't it be better?
They do sell full 6600 and 6800 blocks that cover the RAM too, but they don't significantly cool down RAM temperatures and add resistance to the loop, degrading overall performance

But buy everything at once, prices may drop or revisions may come out on some parts while you still have older parts sitting around doing nothing. Buy it all at once

You want 90% distilled water and 10% zerex for coolant

do they have liquid cooling blocks for socket 939 processors or is that irellivant? idk the compatibility issues and if its a socket thing or not.
Of course, both the TDX and MCW6002 come K8 compatible

Jave you tried different types of liquid for cooling? If so, which ones have you gotten better results with?
No, (and this applies to your paragraph as well) you're trying to get too technical with water cooling dude...this isn't phase change where different gasses give better or worse results...water is the only liquid you can put in there that'll effectively cool your components while the pump is still able to push it. Like gaara and I have both said a couple times now, Distilled water with 10% zerex (anti-freeze is fine also, zerex is just like 'top knotch' basically) which is there to insure that things like algae can't grow in there....assuming you have nothing but copper and brass in the loop (which it shold be) then you can probably get away with 5% zerex/anti-freeze since 1. you have two metals that won't cause corrosion and 2. you're using distilled water which should lessen the chances of algae forming in the first place.

as for contacting weapon you need to simply sign up at Xtremesystems.org and PM him...I'd give him your zip code as well and he can provide you with costs including shipping

As mentioned, no experiance with liquid cooling. I have jotted down the info you guys gave me on the percents H2o and A/F as well as the other information on parts. Didn't know if there have been any experiments with other types of liquids, that's all. Sorry if it looked like I was trying to Nuke this.

Just trying to be as informed as possible before I begin.

Thanks for the help.:D

Nubius, what kind of temps are you getting now? Would you mind posting some tips w/ stock air cooling, aftermarket air, Bigwater, and Dangerden, just for comparison's sake? Thanks for the help man, as always.

Nubius, what kind of temps are you getting now? Would you mind posting some tips w/ stock air cooling, aftermarket air, Bigwater, and Dangerden, just for comparison's sake? Thanks for the help man, as always.
This boards temp sensors are WAY off...I can't give temps besides the GPU which went from 70-75C idle and 80-85C full load to 45C-idle and 50C full load.

God knows what the CPU is.

on my XP-M machine....the my SLK-900A and Tornado did 40C on full load compared to 45C with the bigwater compared to 35C with the DD.....the idle was a lot lower for the DD, but I was always folding which keeps my CPU at 100%, plus that was during the hottest days during summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom