Transferring everything to the new Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

entralinks

Baseband Member
Hi, I'm new here. This message board is quite impressive. :)

I have just bought a new Maxtor 40GB Hard Drive, I want it to replace the old Seagate 40GB one. I have a pre-built PC from a shop so the OS (Windows XP) is OEM and therefore no CD. It is on the hard drive as you might already know. Now if I transfer everything to this new drive, will my OS remain installed, will the partitions (3) remain as they are, will every single tiny bit on my current hard drive be moved to the new one, will everything after the tranfer be normal as it is now, meaning my computer would just keep working as it does now, smoothly? Please mention anything relevant, would really appreciate.

Windows XP
MSI MS-6507
Intel P4 2.0 GHz
256MB Ram (Upgrading to 1GB in a day or two)
GeForce 4 MX 420
Seagate (40 GB 5400 RPM Ultra ATA/100) Old Drive
Maxtor (40 GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA/133) New Drive

I hope i dont sound too stupid, but why dont you keep your current HDD and use your new one as a slave drive?
Unless you havent got the space in your case.

mds my old drive is about 3 years old and has 5400RPM, it can die any minute and is slow. The new one is brand new, and has 7200RPM, so I want this one to be the main drive, and probably use that old one to store stuff.

If dyeing is a concern, the seagate is still alot less likely to fail than a cheap maxtor drive.

I would appreciate an answer to this also, since I also need to move stuff from this HD to a new SATA.

Me too... my old HD on my Compaq is going slower and slower all the time so I would like an exact replica of it. So an answer from all of you smart people out there would be very helpful... thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom