Security Settings - ActiveX controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

stardanz1

Baseband Member
I recently tried to run a system scan with Norton Anti-Virus and I got a pop-up message that says:
"Your security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result, this page may not display properly"
I used to be able to go to Internet Explorer and click
Tools>Internet Options>Security>Custom Level and then set the ActiveX controls.

Here's my question: The Custom Level button no longer illuminates and I cannot select it to make Custom changes. (I can only make Default Level changes). How can I make the button work OR perhaps reset the ActiveX controls

Are you the computer administrator? I beleive that only admins can change those settings. The default level should work as long as you haveing changed said default. IE is left pretty much open if you don't do anything to it. If you are using SP2, then try the security center as well.

It is my own personal computer and I am the administrator. I am using Windows XP Pro, 2.8Ghz P4. two 80GB HD. 1GB RAM.

I am using SP1, will upgrading to SP2 reset the settings for Internet Explorer?

It might, but try default level first.

SP2 has been known to screw up machines on occasion, so unless you are in a REALLY dirty network environment and don't have a firewall, use IE a lot, I wouldn't really recmmend it

Is this some sort of an online scan? I didn't know that norton needed activex.

I tried dropping the Default Level as low as possible and other programs stopped giving me the pop-up message. I have Norton Anti-Virus Professional 2004. (I did run an online scan, but not Norton) I am thinking of uninstalling and re-installing the program to see if its okay now.

I was waiting before I upgrade to SP2 because of the glitches I've heard about it.

I have run SP2 since it was out for IT Professinals and still use it today. It isnt as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Just make sure you update after your SP2install and they have some hotfixes that work some of the bugs out. Here is a full list of apps that give SP2 a problem. SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom