Serious FPS issues here

Status
Not open for further replies.

s37d

Banned
I currently use an Nvidia GeForce FX5900XT vid card, and often my computer lags or hangs in intensive areas when playing World of Warcraft. The fps is decent when the game is steady, but it gets pretty choppy in big areas with lots of people. I have an asus p4p800s mobo, 2 gigs of 2-3-2-5 ddr400 ram, p4 3.2 w/ht, and 120g wd 7200 rpm hd. Would something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130203 make a a big difference? thanks

That's still a decent card IMO. the 6800gt is very good, so of course it will make a big difference, I don't know how big though.

I think you slow downs is because of...well I dunno. You have a good PC. I suppose its the video card but let someone else say so.

If you have the money, sell the 5900xt and get the 6800gt, its a very good card.

yeah I know my card doesnt suck, but I just cant pinpoint the problem area. Could it be heat issues slowing it down? My cpu is running fairly hot according to bios, think at about 65ºC.

s37d said:
yeah I know my card doesnt suck, but I just cant pinpoint the problem area. Could it be heat issues slowing it down? My cpu is running fairly hot according to bios, think at about 65ºC.

Way too hot. Like, thats 10*C over the limit of when your start getting problems. Theres a 80% chance thats your problem. Do you have it overclocked? If not, get the latest version of your BIOS, the BIOS might be lieing, as it was for me.

As for the other 20%, I'd say the video card is being a bottleneck to your system. The 6600GT will make a HUGE difference.

World of warcraft uses Direct X9, while your 5XXX series uses direct X8. I had an ati 9700 and the problem is similar to what you had. All i can say is tone down the settings a bit, and it won't be as choppy.

Wait a sec, what if I download directx9? Also what settings specifically? And if I bought that 6800, would it be able to use directx9?

s37d said:
Wait a sec, what if I download directx9? Also what settings specifically? And if I bought that 6800, would it be able to use directx9?

6800GT, yes it will.

Downloading Dx.9c won't help if your card can't use it.

That helps quit a bit. Now should I dish out to $300 for the 6800gt or not.. hmm..

The card can use DX9.0 Rendering, but...

The card is soo bad at it, it's not funny.

Try finding a command to shift WOW or w/e down to DX 8.1

not sure if I'd be able to do that, could I just download the directx8 version and it would revert back to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom