Hi ppl,

Firstly the spec,

P4 2.66GHz proccessor
Emachine 790 manufacturer
120Gb Hard drive
64mb G-force 4 graphics card
512mb ram

Then the problem,.

I woke up and the PC was turned on (assumed the cat jumped on the keyboard and brought it out of its sleep mode)..

Nothing was on the screen and I was late for work so I held the power button to trip it. Nothing happened. I had to pull the power cable out.

Later I put the power cable back in the PSU and it just powered up on its own..

However, No Signal is displayed on the screen, no POST beeps and no HD light flashing.. FD was clicking away, light on DVD Writer was flashing (wouldnt open or close) and the CD-Rom Opened and closed OK.

I cleaned the inside of the pc and disconnected and reconnected everything.

But still as soon as the power cable goes in the back it boots up (I thought maybe the switch was damaged?) so I tried booting without the switch connector to the mobo and it boots up with what sounds like half power (PSU or Fan sounds half the noise as normal), but still nothing on screen and no POST beeps.

I have changed the PSU, and tried booting starting with nothing connected except the PSU to the MOBO, then worked by adding things back, even tried the onboard graphics and removed my geforce, but still the same issue (except the FD has stopped clicking away)

The only problem is I have no spare P4 Mobos or P4's for that matter to test, and dont want to fork out incase this isn't the issue.

I also read some where that ATX boards only power up if they are OK (apparently thats the way they are designed??)... and considering the Fans spinning away happily I assume the power to it is fine.

The machine is only 2 yr old, and I'm ashamed to admit i'm in the IT Support business...

Any insight would be most helpful.

Cheers

Jase

If your computer is under warranty, I think it would be best to contact them to see if they can fix it, who knows, it might be a common problem with your model......

Yeah thanx guys, kinda confirms what I think,.. just read another post where a guy had kind of the same problem (just didnt boot as soon as the AC was connected) he replaced the PSU, P4, MOBO and RAM, and a few months later happened again..

And unfortunatly theres a stupid Void if Removed sticker on the back of the case which went as soon as I put in the DVD writer..

yeah I am of the same opinion, because surely if the p4 was fried I would atleast get a "NO CPU" error...

I was reading somewhere that ATX MoBos actually trigger the PSU to power the board, and if the MoBo was fried power wouldn't occur,.. only come across this today, any truth in that?

to some degree. yes ATX m/b's do control the psu, the psu supplies a low voltage to the board at all times, the power button completes a circuit momentarily and the motherboard signals for power. but it would be possible for a fried mobo to trigger the power, depending on the damage. its only slightly relevant but i've heard of a similar problem with an xbox on an xbox forum i frequent :p it is relevant seeing as the xbox uses an ATX psu. my guess is some how the power controller on the m/b is shorted

Guess this is can't be fixed and will need a replacement mobo then....

Unlucky..

Cheers for the advice dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom