couple of Qs about my self-build

Status
Not open for further replies.

flurobmx

Baseband Member
ok im planning to build my custom pc (for gaming obviously) and was trying to finish off my hardware list, here's what i've got so far:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+
Mother Board: Asus A8N-SLI
RAM: Corsair DDR2 533 1GB (maybe 2)
Graphics Card: Gigabyte 6600GT (maybe 6800)
Sound Card: Creative Audigy 2 ZS Value
Hard Drive: Seagate 200GB SATA

With the RAM, i was wondering if i should get 2 512MB sticks or a 1GB stick and whether i should go with Corsair, Kingston or Geil.

Graphics Card: Im trying to decide whether to get a 128MB 6600GT and buy another 1 later for SLI or just get 1 6800 or higher card.

Also please say what you think of my chosen hardware and i so, recommend something else.

i would go with 2x512, alot better for overclocking than a 1GB stick, i have GeiL ram and am very happy with it but i dont know what other people think about it.

I would also go with the 6800 and go 6800GT if u can afford it.

i typed that motherboard in google and found absolutley nothing..? see what other people say. u might consider the DFI SLI-DR..

Hey Flurobmx,

Looks good for the most part. I have a couple things though that I noticed.
Your motherboard.. Someone here suggested DFI SLI-DR or the DFI SLI-D. I would take that advice. I myself was looking at that ASUS board and there are a huge amount of extra settings on the DFI one and it is set up for AMD and gaming much better. And this is coming from an ASUS fan! lol
Your Ram. I noticed this because I was innitially looking at that ASUS board too. If I remember correctly it is not set up for DDR2 ram. Only DDR400(pc3200) max. You can go with 2x512 DDR and even overclock it to as high as 600MHz and stay perfectly stable. But if you dont get into overclocking.. I would read the detailed specs on the boards. I havent found an AMD board that takes DDR2 yet but I know the ASUS or DFI boads dont for AMD chips.
Lastly, your vid card. There are plenty of them out there but I would strongly reccoment the 6800GT over the 6600. It is a fair amount faster and with your higher end PC you would see the difference.

Just some thoughts. Cheers and great luck with the build!
Smitty

That ASUS mobo will get no love in this forum... And it may be for good reason. I'm building a PC with one this weekend and will post the results as soon as I get it running. So if you have the time to wait, I'll let you know how it turns out. Also, you might want to look at OCZ RAM. I agree with the above posters regarding the 6800GT. Keep an eye out as Newegg often runs specials on them. They have one right now for an Evga Vid card / Mobo combo... I know the card is $549 but you're getting a
$139 mobo for free. Good luck!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130234

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom