Windows xp sp2 not detecting full drive size 200Gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
BAKGAT said:
My windows xp sp2 only shows my c drive as 127Gb and not 200Gb. Is there a quick fix or should I Fdisk. I louded sp2 as an update. Please help

he has a 200gb hd but only shows 127gb... obviously somethins wrong... read wat he says

Re: Re: Windows xp sp2 not detecting full drive size 200Gb

bronxblaza117 said:
he has a 200gb hd but only shows 127gb... obviously somethins wrong... read wat he says

Let me explain this Sloooowwy......

if he install xp home version 2600 (the one with noooo seeerrvice packssss, that doesn't recognize 48-bit LBA ) on a 200 gig hard drive without partitioning it to at least 2 drives.

that's exactly what is going to haaappppppeen.

and upgrading to service pack 2 will not change the size of the 127 gig OS drive (it will let the computer recognize the rest of the unpartitioned drive that is attached to it though)

I have an asus a8v deluxe with a 939 amd 64 3000+ running 2x 512 ddr. After updating to sp2 it showed 63gb unpartitioned. I created a primary partition (E:) and formated. Is there no way to run one full 200gb drive? I am a biginer and this is the first system I'm building.

buy partition magic it can merge it right now.

or you can slipstream SP2 into your windows xp cd and start over

or you could partition your drive into 3 partitions with your original xp cd or your slipstream xp cd. I would personally go through this route. I would my my window drive 20 gb than make me 2 95 gb partitions. I would make the first my documents and the other either my movies or my music. this way if you have to reformat again later, you won't lose your data or music

Thanks EricB that makes alot of sence, wil give it a try. Where can I get benchmarking for a similar sytem? Like I said socket 939 asus a8v deluxe running 2x 512 ddr duel channel and a geforce 5500 256 agp card Maxi gamers case with 1x 120mm front fan and 2x 80mm exhuast fans. I loaded nfs2 as a trail, the game play is smooth but the sound is a bit fast, it sounds like chipmunks talking.

He should have been able to pop into his BIOS and seen what the hardware was talking, aside from what Windows was seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom