sata boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

sameintheend01

Beta member
Hi, I just bought a WD raptor and i have a sil controller. I have a year old soyo mb that has no options anywhere in the bios to let me enable the sata. So basically, how do I get this new drive to be my bootable drive? I will also be running an 80gb ide drive.

thanks

In the bios .. u probbaly have an option to try "other boot devices" .
Try enableing that .

please list your soyo motherboard model. for soyo boards and most other boards there is nothing to set to enable them. just plug in the power and SATA cable. they are always on like IDE hard disk. if you want to boot to them set SCSI as first boot device, but that doesnt sound like what you want.

the reason windows installation or the windows operating system doesn't see them is because you do not have SATA drivers installed.

I believe this is my motherboard model: SY-P4S-645D DRAGON Lite

preet2u-i already tried the other boot devices...thanks

ek/esine-i did plug in the cable and power and i also set it to boot scsi first. i will download some sata drivers on my old hd and then try to load windows on the new hard drive.

thanks.

alright, more problems. I went to the WD website and they said to download some files to a disk and then press F6 to load the scsi drivers during the very beginning of the windows installation. It seemed like it was working until i had to insert the disk. i dont have a floppy drive (i copied the files to a cd) and it will not allow me to select a drive to install the files from.

any suggestions?

thanks

You have to get a floppy to do this... I don't think you can add the needed files to the boot cd. They make USB floppy drives now, and if your board supports USB booting, then you should be fine. They are $30 or so...

hey guys, i got the sata to work. now, i also have a second (ide) hard drive that i want to get working with my m/b. Sometimes when i hook it up, it freezes on the DMI pool, other times it will boot to this drive. How do i hook it up? Which ide port do i hook it up to and what jumper setting do i use? thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom