R520 update!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nvidia u cheating bastards.. using driver cheats so you can get higher benches with AA on.
All futuremark benches (which are generally always used) are all biased towards ATI...so assuming there is this 'driver cheat' you speak of all it'd do is level the playing field.

Buuut yeah it seems typical of ATI to wait until Nvidia has released their flagship card, delay the hell out of their card and bump it up a bit more to beat out the nvidia card to make it seem as if that's what they had going all along ::cough cough X850 series cough cough::

I want to see both companies come out with a card at the exact same time THEN see what happens...not this wait to see what the competition has, analyze the shit out of their card, delay ours to tweak it up and make it seem better.

Beyond all that I was already expecting the R520 to be more powerful because I was rather disappointed with the 7xxx series, but yeaaah, ATI's way of doing things just bug me

"Credible industry sources told Tom's Hardware Guide that the R520 may debut with clock speeds in the range of 700 MHz and a completely redesigned graphics architecture."

We've already been told that the R520 will have monstrous clock/memory frequencies. As for the 'completely new architecture' part, I think we can assume this is refering to the 90nm process.

I think what we'll have is a competitor to the 7800 GTX, whether it'll wipe the floor with nVidia's current flagship is another question.

I kind of hope it does wipe the floor with it....you should know by now I prefer nvidia over ATI, so it's not liking I'm rooting for my home team, but I want to see an actual NEXT GEN ridiculous performing card which I feel the 7800GTX wasnt

And I don't think you'll find it in the R520 *Turns up the heat* :)

In all seriousness, there's nothing (games-wise) the 7800 GTX can't handle right now, let alone in SLI. And if the R520 does wipe the floor with the GTX, it'll be pointlessly superior for a short while as no games will stretch either GPU beyond it's means I believe. And by the time that S.T.A.L.K.E.R., UT2007, Gears of War et all are unleashed, both the 7800 GTX and R520 wil be old hat anyway :rolleyes:.

t'll be pointlessly superior for a short while as no games will stretch either GPU
not really, it'll just mean that it'll last longer for years to come which is the point that I like to see in the cards....I know what you're saying...once you get above 60FPS then it really doesn't matter if one hits 80FPS and the other hits 120FPS...but like I said then you know it'll be good for the future.

You should see this new 'Project: Offset" game...psht....it's got soft shadows on EACH particle and crap and they are looking to make the ingame experience look like a pre-rendered CG animation....it's ridiculous...you'd need tons of $$$ just to enjoy those top knotch graphics

r520 better not be 16 pipes or i'll be VERY unhappy. I'm talking about the high end card whatever R*** it is. 16 pipes = new nvidia lover.

Nubius said:
You should see this new 'Project: Offset" game...

Thanks Nubius, I checked that game out literally just now... Holy. Crap :eek: Although a long way off, that engine looks to be an Unreal 3.0 killer, pretty much.

particles.jpg

dwarf_nobeard.jpg

I rest my case.

As to what you say about a video card lasting for years... I like to upgrade at least my video card in my system every 12 months or so anyway, depending on what's available. I'm not rich or anything like it before anyone reading this concludes, but I see no point in running the latest PC game technology @ low resolution etc. From a player experience/immersion/"Wow!" perspective, one might as well switch to using consoles (which, on paper, are finally matching and/or surpassing a high-end PC in the graphics department anyway with the XBOX360 and PS3, but that's another story).

DoomUK said:
I like to upgrade at least my video card in my system every 12 months or so anyway, depending on what's available. I'm not rich or anything like it before anyone reading this concludes, but I see no point in running the latest PC game technology @ low resolution etc. From a player experience/immersion/"Wow!" perspective, one might as well switch to using consoles (which, on paper, are finally matching and/or surpassing a high-end PC in the graphics department anyway with the XBOX360 and PS3, but that's another story).

I wish I could afford to keep up with today's graphics cards. These games they are doing today are unreal. In the old days, if you bought a high end graphics card, it lasted much longer because the games have not yet caught up to what the card can actually do. Today, game programmers are limited by the graphics cards of today which can't come even close to doing what the programmers can do. Its rediculous that you have to have a 6800 GT to play today's games on decent settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom