Should I go ABS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heresy

Baseband Member
Newegg has been having a sale recently on ABS desktop towers with an LCD monitor to sweeten the deal. I know that everyone here likes building computers which I would love to get into, but the components and software with a pre-built comp makes me really question the savings. Currently, I am looking at this model:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16883102639

There is a more expensive package for $100 more than ups the warrenty to a full year from 90 days and includes a DVD-RW drive as well. I really don't think I would need either one. The computer I am currently using is an HP Pavilion 522c with all the specs here. It is 3 years old and as anyone can tell, it isn't the best thing in existence. The only upgrades I did to it were add an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro video card and add a 512mb stick of ram. Anyway, I am thinking that I could net a little less than $100 for the video card on ebay then sell off the LCD monitor for about the same amount. The HP tower could probably go in the $250 range on ebay especially if I don't erase the copy of MS Office on it. So, the upgrade to this ABS computer wouldn't cost me more than a few hundred.

So, is the ABS a good deal or can I do better? I rarely play video games, but like to play them occasionally when I have the chance to between schoolwork. Mostly, I don't want something to get too obsolete which my HP is starting to feel like, and I don't think I will been building or buying another computer for another 2 years if I got this ABS. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Why don't you build one now? Problem with buying ABS on newegg is the lack of customization. If you build you own you can use any parts you want, and you might even save a few more bucks. That system also uses integrated graphics, that's not very good for gaming.

It's a good deal, expisally with that office CD. The monitor wont work with games at all however, super high response time makes it crap.

It's worth a go :)

Wall7486 said:
Why don't you build one now? Problem with buying ABS on newegg is the lack of customization. If you build you own you can use any parts you want, and you might even save a few more bucks. That system also uses integrated graphics, that's not very good for gaming.

Well, if I could build something for around the same price then I would be willing to try my hand at building. Just remember that I have never done more than add components to a computer before. I already have a normal DVD-ROM drive, a 3.5 floppy drive, a 17" CRT, and an Antec SLK1600 lying around. However, here is what I am looking for in a new computer:
1. Windows XP
2. An Athlon 64+ processor
3. At least 512mb RAM
4. CD or DVD burner
5. Ability to upgrade and remain non-obsolete for at least the next two years

Here is what I would like but it is not mandatory:
1. 4-5 PCI slots
2. Ability to run 3+ hard drives in a non-RAID configuration
3. Front USB, frewire, audio ports
4. Ability to run quietly

What I don't care about:
1. LEDs, lights, or anything else visual
2. Running games at their highest settings
3. OCing
4. Having the latest and most expensive gear

DJ-CHRIS said:
It's a good deal, expisally with that office CD. The monitor wont work with games at all however, super high response time makes it crap.

It's worth a go :)

Yes, the LCD is crap, but I figure someone on ebay might want it which would offset the cost about $100.

Bump. I need a few more opinions before I order since $600 is a large purchase for me. I am not one of those who can spend $1500 every six months or so.

Sometimes building your own computer is not the best option. In his case that computer is a splendid deal. Heck I would get it.

The LCD will suck, but get it anyways then sell it to some nub on eBay for like $150 ;P

Note that the integrated ATI graphics are far superior to Intel's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom