memory arpeture size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham

In Runtime
I noticed in my Video Card Bios options that there is a category listed as the title says. What does it mean? I am pretty sure a higher setting means better performance but is it really just how much VRAM is on your video card?

i think that is how much of your ram is alocated if you have onboard graphics.

if you're talking about the "AGP Aperture" it's how much system RAM is used when your video card runs out of Vram.....most common rule of thumb is to set it to whatever your video card is....if you have 1gb of RAM you can set it to 128-256 even if you have a 128mb card...if you're sporting 512mb of RAM and trying to run a heavy game like BF2 or F.E.A.R. though I'd probably say 64mb

Okay thanks. It didn't help much since I seriously doubt most games use more than 256MB VRAM, but oh well. Learning is power. :p

It's not the RAM on the card....as I said it tells the system how much of your system memory to use once the Vram is used up...

It always used to be a case of the best option was to set it at half your Vram size, but in a modern system i'd go for around 128, which in your case fits nicely with this rule. Although i did hear some talk from the geforce front that some cards perform better with a 256 meg allocation - quite why this is and how much truth there is to this claim i'm not sure.

Most, if not all games are written taking into account current hardware capabilities so with a decent card like you have you are unlikely to use up all of your Vram anyway

Ok so I have an older computer and the most intensive Games I can play on it are bf1942 and BFV.

The computer has a P4 1.4GHz, 512MB RDRAM (yes, frikkin RDRAM), and a GeForce FX5200 256MB vid card.

Yes the computer sucks, but im getting a new one reallllll soon!!!

Anyway, what would be the best AGP apeture setting for me? 256 or 128? Im kinda thinking 128 would be better but im just wondering if anyone knows the best awnser?

Thanks

you only have 512mb of RAM so you should set it to no higher than 128...

and the general rule of thumb is to set the AGP aperture to that of what your vid card is....however in this case it wouldn't be advised for you with such little system memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom