Windows xp sp2 not detecting full drive size 200Gb

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAKGAT

Beta member
My windows xp sp2 only shows my c drive as 127Gb and not 200Gb. Is there a quick fix or should I Fdisk. I louded sp2 as an update. Please help

You should be showing abut 186gb. You wont see the full 200gb. You should take off roughly 7%. I have a 160gb hdd and I only see 148gb.

The original XP didn't support it, but service pack 1 fixed that problem. Are you sure you have SP2 installed?

After you did the update did you go to disk management and see if the rest of your drive was there and just needed to be partitioned and formatted?

How does it show up in your BIOS?

The reason that a 200GB HD is only 186GB is because of the way that the makers label their drives. a 200 GB HD is actually 200,000,000,000 bytes as everyone should know that 1000 bytes is not a kilobyte. 1024 bytes is. do some simple math and you will find the difference.

BAKGAT said:
I got a link on the Maxtor site. It seems that xp does not support large drives.
That's crap, dude.

1. Swap over to NTFS
2. Upgrade yer version of XP to SP2 to ensure the latest patches and fixes.
3. Make sure you have the right drivers for your mobo.
4. Have a look at your BIOS and see what the BIOS is reporting as the drive size.

i thought just updating to sp2 didnt work. i thought you had to slipstream sp2 into an xp insallation disc, and then reformat with it?

joshd said:
i thought just updating to sp2 didnt work. i thought you had to slipstream sp2 into an xp insallation disc, and then reformat with it?

you hit it dead on. if he would have went that route, he would have been fine. he obviously installed xp home 2600 (with no service packs) on his computer, then he update his version to sp2 on the now formatted 127 (137) drive which will not automatically convert his formatted drive to 200 gig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom