Alienware weird RAM description

Status
Not open for further replies.
DJ-CHRIS said:
Asus boards show 400 instead of 200. However the actual ram frequency is 200, since DDR sends an instruction on the crest and swell (up and down) of each frequency wave.

Exactly, Like Nubius and Chris have said, the Data Rate is 400MHz because the instruction causes the base 200MHz to cut the time of the clock cycles in half, double it's speed.

Saying otherwise would be like saying that the HTT runs at 2000Mhz on a 3200+. The BASE is 200 and its multiplied (actually divided) to increase it to 2000.

Flanker said:
Confusing stuff actually. It doesn't matter though.

So Alienware is right or lieing?
Alienware is wrong, however, I doubt it is intintial lieing. They are just confused like PP.

It isn't that confusing. DDR400 RAM runs at 200Mhz, but like DJ Chris showed, it does twice per clock cycle compared to SDR RAM, so it has an "effective" speed of 400.

Jesus christ in cans...I think it's pushing maximum density in here.

P.P. Mguire has got it right.

The whole point of DDR memory is that unlike normal RAM, it runs on both the up and down cycle. Technically, yes, it is only running at 200MHz, but it is doing the same work as if it was running at 400MHz.

This convention is standard. Alienware isn't trying to lead anyone on. That's how the stuff is named. DDR400 means just what it means. Since it's DDR, you know the clock is at 200MHz, but it functions to the system like 400MHz.

And why are we fighting about this? A stupid short answer needs to be blown into 3 pages of ignorance? You got some kind of peeve against Alienware?

ShoobieRat, your 100% right in your description, as I and others were saying this before. But as you stated, it DOES run at 200Mhz.

PP was specifically saying it runs at 400Mhz, which is just not true.

idiotec said:
ShoobieRat, your 100% right in your description, as I and others were saying this before. But as you stated, it DOES run at 200Mhz.

PP was specifically saying it runs at 400Mhz, which is just not true.
Semantics, semantics. Technically he's wrong, functionally he's right. Big deal.

I'm not trying to start a fight with anyone. One day, I was bored and was looking at Alienware's high-end systems, I found this description of RAM and found it interesting. When you say DDR400, its customary to say that its running ar 200MHz. Everyone on any forum in the world uses that description, therefore, I regard it as logical. When Alienware said their DDR400 was running at 400Mhz, obviously I thought something was ****ed up, which is why I posted here.

I don't hate Alienware, I just want them to open their ****ing eyes.

Those of you who think I'm aiming this at you, chill out, I'm not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom