Alienware weird RAM description

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tro1086 said:
So is it true that having all four RAM slots full would downgrade the performance from DDR400 to 333? If so dose that mean it would be better to keep some RAM slots empty and acheive 2GB by using 2x1GB sticks instead of 4x512Mb sticks?

Yes, even though P.P.Mguire's explanation is more accurate, its true that if you have RAM running in all four slots, the performance will be downgraded, I don't know why or by how much though.

As for the 2x1GB thing, yes, thats exactly correct. Another reason for having 2x1GB over 4x512MB is that the 2x1GB will consume less voltage (The 4x512MB will consume twice the voltage of the 2x1GB).

Your electric bill is going to show it =/.

But the system itself won't have a problem as long as you give enough voltage.

P.P. Mguire said:
Wrong again, its super low latency so they down clocked to tighten the timings on the ram. They are using 2 sticks of 1 gig. Also, cpu-z shows the frequency of the FSB, not the ram.
Try clicking on the memory tab homeboy. It runs at 200Mhz *period* :rolleyes:

Ok well i was curious about this so I got on alienware and wend to there live chat thing where you chat with one of there peoples. I asked about memory in the Aurora 7500 system and asked if the PC3200 333mhz ment the RAM was really running at that speed and was actually DDR667 or if it was really running at DDR333. The guy says hes gona go look up the technical specs and then responds a couple minutes later and says that its DDR2 PC3200 memory and is running at DDR667 which would make the 333MHz true. Well the Aurora comes with an Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe mother board that only supports regular DDR 184-pin memory, not frikkin DDR2 240-pin memroy. So this guy obviously dosnt know what hes talking about, and as far as I know, no AMD mother boards support DDR2 memory as only the Intels really need that high speed memory, but i could be wrong on that.

He also gives me this link: http://4help.alienware.com/cgi-bin/...new_search=1&p_search_type=answers.search_fnl

Like i dont know wtf RAM is.... Using this link I replace his 'ddr' search with 'Aurora 7500 System memory' and find the following topic: Why is my system's memory frequency set to 333MHz instead of 400MHz?

Which I think gives us the true awnser to the "Alienware weird RAM description" topic. Which pretty much says its only running at DDR333 because all four RAM slots are full. But then this leads me to another question. I remember reading somewhere that the newer AMD processors supported running all four RAM slots full and still getting DDR400, is this not true? And arent all the AMD's that you could get with the 7500 system new enough that they would support this?

Untill I learn otherwise im going to stick with my first thought that its either an alienware typo or its really DDR333 and not more expensive 333MHz RAM. The reason i think it may be a typo is because if you select the 2GB ultra low latency ram, which shows 333MHz on the main page, and then click the thing to the left, it pops up with a window with more detailed specs and still shows 333MHz in the title, but actually shows 400MHz below in the spec part. but the regular 2GB low latency shows 333MHz everywhere, unlike the ultra low latency that actually shows 400MHz in the More Info window.

Ok thats enough typing for now!

Ok for one, the guy you talked to IS an idiot and calling them for their own techincal support was stupid. For 2 i already answered the 333 question. They down clock it to get the tighter timings. I also do the same thing w/ my 2600+ rig. I downclock the FSB to 166 to get 333mhz DDR and tighten my timings pretty tight. They do the same thing. Besides, if your paying that much then why would you get a system w/ 4x512 instead of 2x1 gig? That would b stupid. Anyways, the question has been proven and answered a LONG time ago.

P.P. Mguire said:
FSB is 200 not ram. DO your research. This arguement is about as dumb as ram dosent create heat.
I have an idea, why don't you check in your BIOS and see what the RAM frequency is? Do you think you will see 400Mhz? No, you will see 200Mhz.

It is you that needs to do your research, you are 100% wrong.

The "400" refers to the "effective" speed, not the actual Mhz. The actuall Mhz is half of the "effective" speed.

idiotec said:
I have an idea, why don't you check in your BIOS and see what the RAM frequency is? Do you think you will see 400Mhz? No, you will see 200Mhz.

It is you that needs to do your research, you are 100% wrong.

The "400" refers to the "effective" speed, not the actual Mhz. The actuall Mhz is half of the "effective" speed.

Asus boards show 400 instead of 200. However the actual ram frequency is 200, since DDR sends an instruction on the crest and swell (up and down) of each frequency wave.

Tro1086 said:
But then this leads me to another question. I remember reading somewhere that the newer AMD processors supported running all four RAM slots full and still getting DDR400, is this not true? And arent all the AMD's that you could get with the 7500 system new enough that they would support this?

The Venice uses an improved intergrated memory controller which can account for all 4 DIMM slots running at 400MHz. Previous memory controllers would underclock the RAM to 333MHz if all four slots were in use.

That Second Quote is from the Athlon 64 Overclocking thread started by Nubius, but posted on by Gaara. I'll bet you thats where you read it. And I've read it also, thats why I always feel guilty telling people that their memory gets underclocked with all 4 RAM slots full, but its true though, I've seen it happen to people's systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom