X800 Xl 512mb 256bit How Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black-axe

Baseband Member
I'm planning on building myself a pc, just need a bit of advice on what graphics card to use. So far I gotten myself the ff:

INTEL 955 CHIPSET MOTHERBOARD
INTEL 3.0GHZ CPU (DUAL CORE)
2 X 512MB (CORSAIR) MEMORY
SONY 16X DVDWRITER
80GB WD HDD SATA

Now, my problem is I've heard of the SAPPHIRE ATI X800 XL 512MB 256BIT, GRAPHICS CARD IN MY COUNTRY SOUTH AFRICA, it retails for like US$600.00, my question is, is it worth it.

I'm an intel fan

Thanks in advance

Don't get the 512MB, its just a gimmick that you get no real performance advatage for. This is proven in the benchmarks. Even Doom 3 in Ultra mode which is supposed to be the first game to use 512MB, didn't show much of an advantage with the 512MB card. Stick to the 256MB and save your money. 512MB just isn't worth it on today's cards.

Absolutely NOT worth it. For $600 you could get a far more powerfull (and future-proof) card, allbeit with less VRAM.

DoomUK said:
Absolutely NOT worth it. For $600 you could get a far more powerfull (and future-proof) card, allbeit with less VRAM.

He's referring to one of the new GeForce 7800 series cards, which run circles around the X800XL. That 512MB is a scam.

For the love of God don't be a 'fan(boy/girl)' :)

Wait for ATI's R5** series then, which should be with us by the end of the year. However, read the thread below on ATI's new series, one among many:-

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68381

You'll conclude that the R520 was originally proposed to be a 'G70/7800 killer', but has grown less and less monstrous due to various problems.

If you get an ATI card now, you'll be wasting your money. None of them can stand up to the 6800 GT, let alone the 7800GTX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom