6600GT or X800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syphanx

Daemon Poster
Simply, Which is better for gaming... The 6600GT or the X800?

I'm thinking of getting the 6600GT and my friend has recently bought the X800, which will perform better? Or will this depend on the system...? If so, Hypothetically if we had exactly the same system specs but just the two different cards, which would perform better?

Thanks...

depends on the game. OpenGL games will run better on the 6600 GT
Direct3D games will run better on the X800 (Pro?)
that is also assuming both systems are otherwise equal

hi syphanx,

i'm not sure if you're looking for PCI-e or AGP, but anyway...

take a look at this AGP card benchmarks

to see how different games run on different cards.

while the 6600GT is a pretty decent card, the X800's are very good as well, but there are a few different types of the X800's.

the benchmarks can help you decide what is right for you.

hope that helps.

If you are talking about getting the X800 Pro, its not worth the money at all. Its more expensive than the 6600 GT, and performs only slightly better than it in Direct3D, but the 6600 GT runs circles around it in OpenGL. The X800 Pro has become known as the worst card for the money of all time! If you want an X800, pay a little extra and get the X800XL, or go the economical route and get the 6600 GT. If you really want a good card, get the 6800 GT.

EdoKoi said:
hi syphanx,

i'm not sure if you're looking for PCI-e or AGP, but anyway...

take a look at this AGP card benchmarks

to see how different games run on different cards.

while the 6600GT is a pretty decent card, the X800's are very good as well, but there are a few different types of the X800's.

the benchmarks can help you decide what is right for you.

hope that helps.
Tom's hardware is pretty ATI biased. their benchmarks aren't extremely accurate in video cards. plus the 3dmark series also favours ATI.
on the second page, you see the 9800 XT on top of everything, including the X800 XT
on the third page, the 5950 is above everything except the X850's, and they had the 9800 XT, 5900 and 5800 just below them a little.

anyway, my point is, don't trust Tom's in video cards

apokalipse said:
Tom's hardware is pretty ATI biased. their benchmarks aren't extremely accurate in video cards. plus the 3dmark series also favours ATI.
on the second page, you see the 9800 XT on top of everything, including the X800 XT
on the third page, the 5950 is above everything except the X850's, and they had the 9800 XT, 5900 and 5800 just below them a little.

anyway, my point is, don't trust Tom's in video cards

wats up apokalipse,

thx for the reply...however there are a few things i have to point out about those benchmarks on Tom's...

you pointed out the fact that "on the second page, you see the 9800 XT on top of everything, including the X800 XT",

welll, that 2nd page is UT2K4 w/ no AA,AF...on standard 1024x768 resolution..where pretty much most cards on the list run that game great. but i think you missed something...

once you raise the resolution and turn on AA, AF...then you will see a significant increase in how newer cards handle the game, and thus perform much better.

you do notice when you scroll down a bit, you can click "NEXT" on each of those games and see how they run w/ higher resolutions and AA, AF are enabled.

that's where newer cards shine over last generations.

although i will agree w/ you that synthetic benchmarks, like 3DMarks, don't hold a high place in my eyes...it's the real world gaming that's more important.

if you look at each of those games respectively, you WILL notice they all run better on certain games...Doom3 on nVidia, HL2 for ATI, so on and so forth, so it looks pretty even to me, dude.

Tom's is a very respectable site, if you have any other sites you'd like to show us that shows "true" benchmarks scores..by all means, please do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom