clear my hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

guy101

Baseband Member
can someone tell me how you can wipe all the information and programs of your hard-drive because i got given the computer and something is really wrong with it so i thought i would erase everything and start from scratch

FIRST though make sure everyting your gonna need later is backed up. After that make sure you have a boot up disk like micro said. XP pro is a bootable disk. If you need anymore help post again.

if you have an OS CD you can pop that in on boot, it will come up with installation and it will give you a choice to format; if you have Windows 2000 or XP use the NTFS file system but anything like 98 or lower use FAT32

I also have a question about format. What is a recovery CD?

And can i format if i dont have the OS CD?

A recovery CD is somethin' that is shipped with Branded machines .. They r normally used to restore the system to the same state as they were when they were shipped..

Yes u can format the system ..evn if u don't have a OS CD .. but then .. how would u install the OS ..if u don't have an OS disk :)

apokalipse said:
if you have an OS CD you can pop that in on boot, it will come up with installation and it will give you a choice to format; if you have Windows 2000 or XP use the NTFS file system but anything like 98 or lower use FAT32

Doesn't Win98 use CDFS formatting?

Hi,

I suppose using KillDisk software to erase your HDD. It is free and cleans the whole drive, so you can start from scratch by re-partitioning and re-formatting it afterwards. All data erased with KillDisk can not be restored. Head to http://www.killdisk.com for more info and download. Killdisk also supports some highly secure erase algorithms such as Guttman's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom