Building a new pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashthestate

Solid State Member
Ok ppl im building a new pc and im jus looking for some guidence ive made pcs before but never gone into overclocking etc etc so here goes.

ive already got a Asus A8N SLI DELUXE and im planning on buying my processor next im from england im ive gopt £280 to spend
my choices were either
AMD 64 4000+ i can get this for £265
AMD 64 3800+ i can get this for around £210 or somin
AMD 64 3700+ i can get this for lower obv

Obviously i want my pc for games so which of those would you say would be the best? for overclocking etc and price value

Secondly: Ram wise there are a couple of options

Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 (MY-079-CS)
for £205

or brands or kingston or geil? could anyone recommend a brand and amount of ram for me?

Grapics card wise because i can get around £350 i was thinking one of the new models of the 7800 PCI-E cards or are they really worth it?

Hard drive wise im not to sure what to go for, because ive never really looked into it before so any sugestions.

any one who can help me out mail me at smash_the_state16@hotmail.com

OCZ for RAM, if you want to OC, it's very stable.

The 4000+ for sure, it is a beast.

The 7800's are the best cards out right now. But I would wait a couple months or less, and wait for ATI's x9 series to come out, and buy that, or get the 7800's when the price drops.

Instead of creating another "how is this computer" I'll just bump this one.. From the research I've done and gotten from this site and others I tryed to put together a list of parts for under 2,000 CAN and I've come up with this list:

Processor : AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego core

Thermal Compound : Arctic Silver Arctic Silver 5

Motherboards : Gigabyte GA-K8VT890-9 w/ DualDDR400 PCI-E x16

Kingston 1GB PC3200 DDR CAS3

Case : Aspire X-Plorer Mid Tower w/ Side Window

Hard Drives 1 : Seagate 120GB Barracuda 7200.7 Plus ATA w/ 8MB Cache

Video Cards : Gigabyte Geforce 7800 GTX 256MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, VIVO

I listed Gigabyte instead of eVGA becuase of its cheaper price (if the eVGA is worth the extra cash let me know)...

Any advice is apprieciated and even though I havent posted here I've been reading tons of threads and I want to thank everyone who gave helpful advice to others..Hopefully the thread starter won't mind if I steal this thread from a few pages back

RAM: G.Skill overclocks best. guaranteed to get DDR600.
OCZ is second best, it can usually get DDR550
PQI is about equal to OCZ, since they use the same chips and PCB's
if you can, go for an X2. a Toledo if you have the money (they have more cache)

Why go for an x2? If I could spare money I would probably only be able to go with a 3800+ x2 and I'm not sure its worth it.. Are you recommending it because dual cores will be better in the future? Also, multitasking power won't be as important as I can always use the computer I'm typing on to look on the internet and play music or video.

Also, for additional fans.. would an Antec 80mm LED fan be a good choice? Or what else would you recommend for cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom