Cannot uninstall Norton Antivirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Hey all, recently switched antivirus programs but I can't uninstall Norton AV. It does not give me an option under the start menu, and when I go to add/remove programs in control panel it won't let me do it either. Any other ways to get rid of it? Or are there any good freeware programs I could use to fully uninstall it?

Thanks in advance! :)

norton sometime like to take system files with it, when you uninstall so be careful.

try using the cd to uninstall. it the same way as a install, except if norton is already installed an uninstall option comes up

Popped in CD: I get this message when selecting uninstall;

We have detected a newer version of Norton Antivirus and it needs to be removed in order to install this version. To do so click add/remove program link below.

Launch Add/Remove Program: (Hyperlink)

Option to click OK

This is the same thing that pops up under add/remove programs. Clicking OK exits, clicking the hyper link takes me to add/remove and does nothing, just repeats above message. I am SO not liking Norton anymore. I purchased the 2005 version, running 2004, I couldn't even get 2005 to install. I thought I might have had a virus or worm that prevented AV software from installing, but I installed and ran both AVG and Avast to try them and they worked fine. Please tell me I don't have to reformat. Grrr.

A note, no other version of Norton has ever been installed on this system, period. I don't get the above message at all..

You need to go into the program files folder and delete the folders in there. You might get an error message when trying to delete some, just move on to the next one, then go back to and if you still cant delete it, rename it to whatever, reboot and you should be able to delete the rest of the files, reboot, download ccleaner and then try to install norton

Check your task manager also, there are surely Norton processess running in the backround that may be preventing you from being able to uninstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom