Problem after defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzimm86

In Runtime
Ok I am going to start out saying THIS IS NOT MY MACHINE!!! I am fixing it for a coworker. It is a Winbook j1 laptop running windows me (now you see why i say it isnt mine) The user last defraged the hard drive and then the next time the restarted it it would not boot. It comes to the screen that says:
Microsoft Windows Millennium Startup Menu
1: Normal
2:logged (\bootlog.txt
3:safe mode
4:step-by-step confimation

The first three go to a black screen then reboot and come up to the same screen.

The forth option askes you some questions as far as what to do. The first 4 items run fine when you hit yes. Then you are asked:
msmouse.vxd [Enter=Y,Esc=N]?

No matter what you enter the computer reboots to the startup menu.

So here is what i did so far. i took a windows 98 startup disk (the only one i had) and booted into dos. I then downloaded a new msmouse.vxd and replace the current file, but this did nothing. I also tried to run a chkdsk.exe but it could not run in dos.

I have found a few fixes for this problem but they are all if you can get into the operating system and i can not there for i could not perform them.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be great even if it is a long shot it is worth a try.

i'd prolly reinstall the os, your user data should be left unaltered. prolly need to update the machine with windows patches again.

benzimm86 said:
i would have to do an install of me right i would not be able to do 2000 without formatting

Actually, you can and should upgrade it to Windows 2000. It will upgrade the screwed up Windows ME with Windows 2000 but will keep your coworkers data files.

Defrag should only be run after a successful chkdsk or scandisk. The drive probably had inconsistencies and errors that should have been corrected before defragging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom