upgrading hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattlyon

Beta member
Hi,
My pc has a maxtor 2b020h1 (541DX) 20gb hdd, its a bit outdated, so im upgrading probely to a 80gb.

Im a bit confused by all the diffrent connections - Serial ATA, ide,Ultra ATA/ etc. What can i use

Iv seen a good deal on a Hitachi DeskStar 7K80 is this compbatible. its a sata.

My current hdd uses Ultra ATA/100

I believe that connection is IDE. I may be wrong, but I don't think so. You'll have to look for a hard drive that has an IDE connection.

There are basically two types of connections to internal hard drives, IDE and Serial. There are different kinds for each but the hdd will say ide somewhere in the title when you order it. Youll need an ide hard drive if your current one uses ultra ata/100.. I just upgraded my 2001 20gb with this, which is an ide connection drive.

Thie hitachi 7K80 that says SATA (Serial ATA) 3.0gbs is not compatible.
The hitachi 7K80 that is ide ultra ata/133 is.

Hi,
i have a 80gb maxtor diamond max 9.
I want to install it as my main drive and get rid of the other one.
I have ghost 2002 - but niot to sure what to do.

I have a problem... my first hard drive is a serial ATA hard drive, but when my husband checked in MS device manager, we have a IDE/ ATA for hard drives... what doees this mean?

We just ordered an EIDE hard drive, but aren't sure if it will fit into our computer, but the tech guy at our local Future Shop (owned by Best Buy) said we would be good to go with the hard drive we wanted.

Is he right, or did we screw up?

By the way, we have a Dell Dimension 8300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom