wireless networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

theeenumerator2

Beta member
I am trying to install a wireless network in my house the allows file and printer sharing. I would also like to save files created on the one computer and place them in the other computer harddrive. I have laptop that runs Windows XP and a desktop that operates on Windows 98se. I have a dsl connection into my house, a linksys wireless access point router (2.4 ghz) 802.11b. I have a linksys pci card installed in the desktop and wireless-b notebook adapter installed in the laptop. Both units will surf the web, but I am lost when it comes to file sharing. Can anyone help?

Well, first things first.....disable the firewall built into the XP PC.
Goto your control panel (I'm going to use the classic view) double click on the Network Connections. Right click on your wireless connection and goto the advanced tab. Uncheck the firewall protection. The Linksys router will provide enough protection.
You will then have to create a user on your XP machine that has the same username and password as you are using on the 98 machine. You then can share some folders on the 98 machine and the XP machine. Once you share these folders, you should be able to see them in "My network places" on the XP machine and "Network Neighborhood" on the 98 machine.

-Mike

there are a few things i'd like to mention. file sharing with windows is much easier than that. for winXP go to the network options and run the networking wizard. on the win98 machine you only need to install the "file and printer sharing" service on your network card.

once that is done all you need to do is right click on a folder you want to share and set properties. you do not need to add users in winXP. winXP by default enables "simple file and folder sharing" meaning everyone on the network has access to the folders.

using simple method you can still prevent people from changing files within the shared folder. with advanced sharing as mike explains you can set advanced sharing options. while setting up sharing for win98 i have run into specific problems and found solutions to them

1. the shared name for each shared folder on the network should be created using only numbers and letters and the dash "-". do not make the name over 11 characters long (maybe it is 12) otherwise win98 will not see it.

2. do not use win98's "depends on password" option. "full" and "read only" password protection enabled on win98 just times out or gives errors if a winXP machine tries to access those folders.

3. don't forget to turn off winXP firewall like mike says. if using firewall software like zonealarm firewall you must add your other computers IP addresses to the "trusted zone" or whichever it's called to allow file sharing.

I did everything that you mentioned, but for some reason I still cannot communicate any way with the other computer. Whenever I try to access the network a warning appears that I do not have proper clearance to access this option, and that I should contact my network administrator.

your user account prolly needs admin rights when changing settings on your XP box.

Login as an admin (try administrator, <blank password>) and do what you gotta do.

Here's how to make your username admin. Login as an admin (try administrator, <blank password>, goto control panel, admin tools, computer management. click local users and..., right click your username, click properties.

Im using a w2k box right now so what i say next maybe different. But i think its the same. Click the members of tab, click add, select administrator, click add, click ok,click ok.

Login as your user

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom