Cheap Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnt_bulb

Solid State Member
I need something cheap for an emachines w2888. 2.8 478P 128k F 400. 80GB. Are the Rosewill products on NE cheap or really just cheap?

We need more information. AGP or PCI or PCI-express?

Also what's your budget and what will you be using the card for?

Is this your computer? If so, and you want a video card to play games, you're kind of out of luck. It has no AGP slot nor PCI-Express. Only old PCI slots.

In case you don't know, AGP and PCI-Express are the new age slots that transfer data very fast to the computer. Since you don't have either of those, only PCI slots, then the PCI slots are very slow for games. You can play old games but nothing new, and if you can play something new, it'd be very jerky and such.

AGP slots are slowly going away (but still are fast, and still very abundant) and PCI-Express are the new generation. PCI-Express IS different (big time) than PCI.

I put a BFG GeForce4 MX 4000 in my w2040.

I tried to look up the stats for your mobo, but couldn't get anything solid. But from what I could see from the pics, it doesn't have an AGP slot.

Try downloading and running either Everest or Belarc Advisor (both are free and available at majorgeeks.com) and post you mobo stats and model number.

I am definitely lost in here but I'm trying . Here is the machine I've got. No gaming but I do use this for GIS,Graphical Information System, work. I am bumping the ram up another 512 on top of the 512 I have and a guy at work told me a faster video card would help.
Would someone tell me where to look on the mother board for what it is? The link to the site above gives out nothing.
I really appreciate the help guys.

You're link didn't really do anything. It went to emachines site but this is all it said:

BOM for :
Part Category Description Part Number

Well, as for GIS, I have no idea about anything about that. I don't know what kind of video cards you need for it. Assuming that you are doing GIS on an onboard card (whatever came w/ the emachines) then really any card will do better, but I don't know what will be best.

Just wait till someone else can help ya here. :)

In the meantime, go to this site and read the post, I hope it helps.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=223148

You might want to sign up there. It's Steam's site, basically the creators of Half Life/ Half Life 2 / CounterStrike / Counterstrike:Source. (VERY popular PC games if you don't know) They have a hardware section and the forums are very active. You'll get a quick answer if you need one fast. Tech forums are more helpful/more knowledgable (spelling) but it takes a little longer for replies b/c the community is smaller.

Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller . I got this from Belarc, does it look like the right thing? The suggested upgrade from emachines is a ATI RADEON 9200SE 128 DDR DVI/TV-OUT PCI . This still means means nothing to me, I can project a set of coordinates on any map I have projection information about but I havent learned the mechanics of what makes that happen yet. That sounds like I'm mentally impaired but its just the truth.

according to the articla on that link the PCI uses a brown receptacle , I have an old compaq presario mobo that has one of those, the emachines doesnt have that brown slot. I am confused as hell now. But at the emachines parts depot it says ATI RADEON 9200SE 128MB DDR DVI/TV-OUT PCI. But if my mobo doesnt have a PCI receptacle then what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom