More RAM?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelminns

Baseband Member
Since i am new to this whole comuter gaming world, and i have an addictive personality; I have been going overboard with upgrading and research and whatnot. Here is my system.

K8M800M
Evga GeForce 6800GT
1 gb RAM (2x512)
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
160GB 7200RPM HD

I was asking about a GeFORCE 6600GT with 1 gb of RAM on another thread for my brother's computer. I wanted to know how well FEAR and Battlefield 2 would run on this. And DJ_CHRIS told me that the 1 gb of ram would be holding back the system rather than the 6600GT. Of course I'm thinking - I have a 6800GT?! the ram must really be holding that thing back. I wanted to get get other opinions on this because it is a lot of money to ditch my 512's for two 1024's. Would the boost of performance be worth this upgrade?

I'm by no means saying that DJ_CHRIS is wrong. It's just that a month ago, everyone told me to go with 1 gb of ram because 2gb would be overkill. Also, DJ_CHRIS didnt see my specs when he said this. (another component might bottleneck the system with 2 gb :()
Thanks

Going from 1 gig to 2 gigs made a difference in my computer playing BF2. also helped my roommate in the same game.

What core of CPU do you have, if you have an old core it could be better to sell the 2x 512's and get gig sticks.

New venice core can run all 4 sticks at high speeds :)

Shawn, with games like BF2 and FEAR you will DEFIANTLY notice a difference with 1 gig vs 2

BF2 is a resource heavy poorly written game.Unfortunately it needs 2GB of RAM to really play smooth. But i advise aggainst buying 1GB of RAM jsut for a single game.

I have no doubt you notice a difference using 2 gigs, but I can just tell you this:

One gig (2 512's) of ram, with a 6800GT run BF2 as high as it can go minus the lighting. So there is really NO reason to invest in more ram when you can run it that nicely. Plus, you can always get another 2 512's later right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom