window's oil life meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer does not slow down in one months time or even 6 months time. I simply prefer to start over because its that easy to do with a ghost image. Gets rid of all the IE p0rn cache files hidden in places you dont know about.

As for the server/home PC analogy. You simply can't compare the two at all. Servers are simply units that stay on 24/7 and dont have anybody on them except knowledgable admins. They are not prone to all the crap out there on the internet.

The avg home PC user does not maintain there PC's the way they should so we should throw a bit of reality into the mix. We systems administrators know how to care for our PC's sure..but probably 70% of avg users out there dont know what defrag is..or spyware is..or viri are..they simply see ohhh cooool I can get all these cool smilies to send in outlook for FREE??? lol.

Win2kpatcher said:
My computer does not slow down in one months time or even 6 months time. I simply prefer to start over because its that easy to do with a ghost image. Gets rid of all the IE p0rn cache files hidden in places you dont know about.

As for the server/home PC analogy. You simply can't compare the two at all. Servers are simply units that stay on 24/7 and dont have anybody on them except knowledgable admins. They are not prone to all the crap out there on the internet.

The avg home PC user does not maintain there PC's the way they should so we should throw a bit of reality into the mix. We systems administrators know how to care for our PC's sure..but probably 70% of avg users out there dont know what defrag is..or spyware is..or viri are..they simply see ohhh cooool I can get all these cool smilies to send in outlook for FREE??? lol.

LOL

Solaris, no offense but if you have to reload your computer every seven days, maybe you should get a typewriter. Or atleast track down the root of the problem. If I had a computer that needed to be reloaded every seven days, I wouldnt own that computer. Do you use net zero, or does it come bundled with some toher type of software. If you are using net zero, have you troubleshooted your modem? That seems to much like work to me.

pinkfloyd2005 said:
Solaris, no offense but if you have to reload your computer every seven days, maybe you should get a typewriter. Or atleast track down the root of the problem. If I had a computer that needed to be reloaded every seven days, I wouldnt own that computer. Do you use net zero, or does it come bundled with some toher type of software. If you are using net zero, have you troubleshooted your modem? That seems to much like work to me.

only takes 20 min to install, i use nlite so i dont even have to sit there and answer questions. so its not like a big deal and the problems vary each time...netzero was just this particular install problem, last time it was explorer crashing, time before that it was IE..i can track and reinstall the app all i want even removing every trace from registry, doesnt always fix it..i know lots of people that have such problems, the difference is they tolerate it and use it anyway.

another example happened today, my g/f did a restore cd yesterday on her pc cuz lots of different things didnt work like they should anymore, then suddenly it would reboot during xp loading, it wont even go into safe mode...all it does is reboot, another restore later the mouse doesnt work...thats the kind of things i'm talkn bout, there are millions whos pc's do that occasionally and are forced to format, its great that you dont have to but you shouldnt recommend that no one should have to format as that is a limited view from only your experience

Solaris, I realize that there are conditions when a format is needed, but I just disagree with the practice of formatting so often in order to make windows run better. It comes down to preference, I prefer not to do it, you prefer to do it. Neither of us are wrong, I just realize that there are tools out there to help keep your pc running smooth, and there is no need to format to make your machine run smoothly. That is unless your machine is just completely hosed. If you machine has every variety of spyware and it is going to take three hours to clean it, you should just format and start over. It has been over a year since I loaded my machine, and I have no problems.

pinkfloyd2005 said:
Solaris, I realize that there are conditions when a format is needed, but I just disagree with the practice of formatting so often in order to make windows run better.

oh your just talkn bout the "new feeling" of the os performance itself...i see now.
but again i think this reverts to user habits and what they do with a pc. hopefully this wont be as big a problem in "vista" next year.

www.pcpitstop.com is free and is an online tool specifically for testing your pc over periods of time. certainly worth having on everyones bookmarks to test once a month and make sure everything is in top shape.
my tests show that even with good maintanence the os does drop some in performance over time...cant see why but the numbers dont lie.

i think the practice of formatting/imaging just specifically to make windows feel like new again is ok for certain types of pc users but since user habits and experience vary then maintance utilities should always be recommended to try first. and always make sure you benchmark after a new install with a consistant tool...that way you have a base line to know for sure if your os is sluggish or just in your head.

solaris said:
hmm, that sounds very ideal in theory and practice for some, it depends on 2 factors, driver/software coding and user habits. since my new pc i average a format every 7 days or so, why? well after a few days i suddenly get netzero isp errors..my current one says cannot find resource, ive reinstalled them and did lots of things to try to fix such problems, nothing works,i had a fresh install once where 3 days later explorer crashed, no viruses or anything like that, no apparant way to fix it..the coding of the software in conflict with others or drivers seems to happen at any time, its always different, simple cleaning and defagging doesnt always cure everything...i could go on and name lots of problems that change with each format.
ive tried images like acronise/ghost..etc and i have problems getting them to restore sometimes, sometimes it works and i get new problems
so just cuz you havnt had to doesnt mean that formating isnt necessary for everyone..thats a very limited perception.

But do you never think.. hmm im not learning much doing this format every time.. maybe i can dig deep to the root of this problem and actually fix it instead of a quick work around ??

I've got a computer i've not formatted for 6 years (since i first set it up) and yup its had viruses, spyware, god knows what else as its the pc my family use for gaming and internet/emails etc.

I fix the problems rather than format.. because it saves the hassle of a format.. saves the hassle of lost settings, drivers and files.
Also saves speed issues of having more than 1 partition... although my personal pc i have 2 partitions.. 1 for data 1 for windows as i have a habit of trying different os's and will not leave windows on it if trying linux as i'll get fed up trying to do something on linux so i'll do it on windows.. where as if linux is me only option then i have to learn how to do it.

It's the difference between a geek computer genious wannabe and a computer techie... 1 thinks they can solve everything with a format, the other actually knows they can solve something and format for the correct reasons.. i.e. they want to destroy all data.

Skuzzle said:
But do you never think.. hmm im not learning much doing this format every time.. maybe i can dig deep to the root of this problem and actually fix it instead of a quick work around ??

I've got a computer i've not formatted for 6 years (since i first set it up) and yup its had viruses, spyware, god knows what else as its the pc my family use for gaming and internet/emails etc.

I fix the problems rather than format.. because it saves the hassle of a format.. saves the hassle of lost settings, drivers and files.
Also saves speed issues of having more than 1 partition... although my personal pc i have 2 partitions.. 1 for data 1 for windows as i have a habit of trying different os's and will not leave windows on it if trying linux as i'll get fed up trying to do something on linux so i'll do it on windows.. where as if linux is me only option then i have to learn how to do it.

It's the difference between a geek computer genious wannabe and a computer techie... 1 thinks they can solve everything with a format, the other actually knows they can solve something and format for the correct reasons.. i.e. they want to destroy all data.

I can fix 90% of a computer's problems without reformatting them. However I reformat my personal computer 10-15 times a year. I'm always add new programs or taking something out, plus my mind changes like the weather.

it's easier to format. with my amd 3700 and my driver tip guide,
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65989

it take me 30 minute to install xp and it's drivers. I have enough sense to keep my data on other hard drives.

but when I work on other people's computer, I try to avoid reformatting. I reformat at a last resort

in my case i dont have enough hdd space to reformat - i have 120gb and 80gb and windows is on the 120gb and i only have 10gb left on each of them!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom