stuck on "Windows is Shutting Down"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cedjunior

Daemon Poster
Since yesterday, for no apparent reason, Windows XP doesn't want to shut my computer down. It gets all the way to the "Windows is Shutting Down" message, and just hangs there. No error messages or anything. If I hit the power button real quick it shuts right down, and again no errors on start up. Any common issues that can cause this???

You install SP2? There are alot of sympton to why it would hang but installing the lastest patch should help.

Do you have a lot of programs running in the background? That might cause some problems.

Have you defragged your drive lately? Running regular defrag can help optimize your computer's performance as well as speed up startup and shutdown.

Try doing a disk cleanup, chkdsk/scandisk, & defrag.

There are programs running in the background, but not any more or any less than there were before I started having this problem. I put this computer together only 2 weeks ago, and there is only 11GB on a 200 GB hard drive, so I don't think cleaning up the heard drive will do anything, chkdsk found notihing wrong.

Boot in safe mode, and see if it shuts down. To enter safe mode just hit F8 before the "Loading Windows XP" screen shows up. (What I usually do is just hit F8 about a million times till I get to the screen.) Once, you've hit F8, you'll be directed to the Boot Screen, and from the list, choose Safe Mode.

Once in safe mode see if it shuts down properly. If it doesn't then it sounds like a hardware issue.

If it does shut down properly, then try doing a virus and spyware scan in safe mode. Hopefully that'll fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom