MB or OS problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darth spud

Solid State Member
I have recently bought a new motherbord (Gigabyte GA-7S748-L) which i installed with no problems, the BIOS sees all my hardware and there are no POST errors but when the PC tries to load the OS (Windows XP Home) it resarts the PC (this happens over and over again) could this be a problem with the BIOS settings although if tried every configuration or do i need to replace the master boot record baring in mind though i havent got an XP disk (damn OEM licences) i do have a recovery disk that came with the computer but its just a ghost image and ists not going to do me any good if i wont to change the MB as they only work when the PC is at its original configuration. This looks to me as if im just going to have to buy a copy of XP, what do u think??

any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanx

I believe you are right. I could be wrong but to the best of my knowlege, everytime you change a major hardware component in a computer you have to reinstall OS. Even if it boots the OS you will eventually run into problems somewhere down the way.

I would get another opinion though before you go buy a windows XP disk. Someone with more knowlege then I, may have a simple solution.

I have tried starting windows from the last known good configuration and safe mode (and all the other options available but they dont work.

I find it amaizing that you pay £1000 + for a PC and the phuckin people you by the machine off dont give you a copy of the OS :angry:

yeh that is a real big pain, this computer didnt come with driver disks but at least it came with a 98 SE CD (which we dont use anymore because we upgraded to XP)

do any of your friends have an XP home disk you can borrow just to repair install?

if you got a serial viewer for XP and found out your serial, then copy XP but still use your serial - Im not sure whether it is legal or not to posess a copy of XP even if you have your own serial

XP will not boot if more than 8 hardware devices r changed at one time .. N' in your case since u changed the motherboard .. that's like changeing almost all the device resources etc..
This is a stupid feature M$ introduced to prevent piracy .:mad:
There's no way .. u can repair it .. U hafta reinstall the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom