Dell vs. Custom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanker

Banned
I took Dell's brainchild XPS Desktop and Customized it to what I wanted. Then I went on Newegg.com and made the exact same system (except for the case ofcourse, but I chose the Aspire X-Navigator instead of Dell's case).

The Difference in price of a Brand name and Custom Built PC?

Dell XPS - $3789.
Newegg.com Custom Build - $1994.

Difference in Price - $1795.

Percentage - Custom Build is 52.6% the price of Dell.

Now for those new members who believe it isn't worth the hassle to build your own PC, tell me, do you want to pay almost twice as much for $h!t components and no upgradeability?

Just a fun little experiment 'cuz I was bored.

NOTE: In Dell's XPS, if you want to upgrade from the Default 6800GT to the X850XT PE you will be paying $400 extra. Just something I noticed and took advantage of :cool:

Dell XPS are overpriced and also a rip-off because they get you with proprietary components. Build your own or have it built all the way! If you buy a Dell XPS, you might as well be taking $1795 and throwing it into a bonfire.

Hey, that's pretty cheap, 1 year ago, i payed $1873 for a custom Compaq SA4000t with Intel P4 560 and PCI-EXPRESS 1GB DDR2-533, Windows XP Pro, X300SE, SOund Blaster, 17"LCD, and so on.

Roger

funny thing is, is that my girlfriends mam have just bought a 9100 from them and it comes with a 300gig hard drive, anyhow that drive is partitioned for have a 2gig hidden for restore purposes, but when we ran a spyware scan that partition was full of them :eek: so considering that partition is read only dell must of supplied it with the spyware.

good old dell :sigh:

aj2003 said:
funny thing is, is that my girlfriends mam have just bought a 9100 from them and it comes with a 300gig hard drive, anyhow that drive is partitioned for have a 2gig hidden for restore purposes, but when we ran a spyware scan that partition was full of them :eek: so considering that partition is read only dell must of supplied it with the spyware.

good old dell :sigh:

You can remove that partition, The method of how to remove it is in upgrading and reparing PCs' 16th edition.

aj2003 said:
yea remove it and void ur warranty. god i hate dells.

Yeah, that sucks. I hope I didn't void my warranty on my sony laptop, because I blew that partition away the first thing. Its just wasted space IMO, especially since all the drivers are on the Internet, I use XP Pro and not Home, and I don't need all the AOL and Netscape dialup crap they give you with the PC.

i did exactly that with my girlfriends laptop. I mean the drive is only 40gig and using close to 5 of it for backup is pointless.

I rang dell to see what their prices were for a laptop i wanted, i asked if they would take the price of xp and works off as i would be putting linux on so therefore dont want to waste my money, but i was told you get windows for free :confused: so they wouldnt take anything off the price for it :mad:

you can't order a dell with no OS unless ur buying a server(i believe) i had the unforunate privilege to talk to a dell rep at the mall once and he pissed me off bragging about how o i have every MS OS ever made, i have windows 98, ME, XP, Server(had no clue wat he was talking about half the time) wat a moron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom