Question about Pentium D

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should work fine with 32 bit hardware / software. Don't even get me started on the Intel / AMD debate (they're both fine processors). And that PC looks excellent if you really want a media center PC. I'd buy 64 bit that way your ready for the hopefully faster 64 bit apps coming out in the future.

I'd think twice about buying brand PC's, the fact of the matter is that they have no real upgradability so you'll have to investigate that on your own.... So far the reports on 64 bit windows isn't good so far, they are having driver issues as well as some 32 bit programs, so give a little bit more time before settling into 64 bit just yet

HP's PC designs are so innovative. I'm not saying I like the designs, or the PCs, but they're so different.

I still say Dell's XPS PC Case takes the prize for best-looking CPU case ever.

What would there be to upgrade? Isn't it pretty good already? It seems like it'll last for a while (2-3 years right?). I looked at Dell computers...so ****ing expensive. I was looking at that XPS...4000 dollars wtf?? but um about custom computers...they seem more trouble than they're worth. You have to buy all the parts yourself and assemble it...plus the prices on the parts change from time to time. Plus I'm not tech savy enough to build one.

HP computers just seem like they're worth the money. I have one right now and it has a gig of ram 250 gigs of harddrive space and pentium 4 so it doesn't seem so bad. Oh and about Longhorn...so it is true that longhorn is only going to run on 64 bit only? If that was true, then that means that this computer I'm using with Pentium 4 won't be able to use it right? I don't think it's possible to upgrade the processor because I heard it'll fry the motherboard or something like that.
Bigstanklo, how sure are you that the 32 bit software/hardware will work with 64 bit processors (like AMD 64 and Pentium D)? My cousin told me his friend just installed a new 64 bit processor and his hardware/software wouldn't work and he had to change it back to 32 bit. oh and are you referring to just pentium d working with 32 bit or does that include athlon as well?

Oh and about media center...do you have to subscribe to a service or anything to record T.V. or use other features? And how do you connect it your T.V.?

TIA for answering these questions...I just realized it's a lot.

The problems lay in the fact that the Operating system is what does affect the performance of 32 bit programs with a 64 bit processor. Because windows is still unstable at 64 bit with issues the processors seem all good so far it stupid bloody windows holding back again! what's new.

quixotic115 said:
wait Windows messes up 64 bit?? So only TIger OS and Linux can work with it?

No no no. If that was the case, why would all of us have A64s?

Currently there are no real 64-bit Operating Systems out there. Windows XP has a 64-bit version, but its more like a 64-bit emulator than a real 64-bit OS. Windows Vista, due next year is going to be the very first 64-bit OS and will have tons of new features.

Athlon 64s are...as it says in the title, 64-bit processors. Regular Windows XP and Windows 2000 can't take advantage of the 64-bitness of the A64s. However, the 32-bit OSes works just fine with 64-bit processors.

That clear things up?

Oh and thanks for the awesome link Wedge.

Ohh so I should wait for the Vista? Um btw is Vista = Longhorn or is it like something between XP and Longhorn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom