Setting up dual OS with both being WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
I have 2 hd that I want to put in my new computer. I want to install Xp on both drives and have them work as basically 2 different computers. Reason being I want one for important stuff like business and school (40gb) and the other for games and downloads (160gb). I don't want the important stuff getting infected with viruses or anything.

I want to partition the 40gb (38 really) so it works as 10gb for the important stuff since it would just be papers and programs. Then the other 25 gb be shared. And 3gb for the swap file. I want the 25gb and 3gb partitions to be seen by both but I don't want the 10gb partition to be seen by the 160gb. Can this be done?

So does that sound good?
I don't need 2 license codes to do this, do I?

dario03 said:
I want to partition the 40gb (38 really) so it works as 10gb for the important stuff since it would just be papers and programs. Then the other 25 gb be shared. And 3gb for the swap file. I want the 25gb and 3gb partitions to be seen by both but I don't want the 10gb partition to be seen by the 160gb. Can this be done?

So does that sound good?

you could activate windows twice with one computer, and if they ask, you could tell them that its only installed on one computer, but im not sure if thats technically against the EULA. when you activate windows, it will have the same hardware profile *pretty much* and i believe you could do it.

as for the is it possible? i dont believe so, as far as i know windows xp wont install unless its on the primary partition/harddrive whatever you want to call it.

what do you need the 3 gigs of swap space for? windows does that for you?

im not sure what you mean here:
dario03 said:
I want to partition the 40gb (38 really) so it works as 10gb for the important stuff

You could make a 10GB partition for the Windows XP, and leave the rest of 40GB for business/school programs and files and the 160GB for games, movies, music, ect. And if you ever had to reinstall Windows on it all you would need to do is format the 10GB partition and leave the others as is.

dario03 said:
I have 2 hd that I want to put in my new computer. I want to install Xp on both drives and have them work as basically 2 different computers. Reason being I want one for important stuff like business and school (40gb) and the other for games and downloads (160gb). I don't want the important stuff getting infected with viruses or anything.

So does that sound good?

I would scrap the 3gb partition part of the first drive becuase it need to be at the front of the disc and xp just won't let you do it. I would put it at the first 3gb of the second hard drive though.

check this out. split the the 40gb into 2 20's. install xp on each one. you can dual boot it (you would have to go to disc management to set the other partition active), you might want to invest in partion magic if you go this route as it is simpler to do or you can install it the regular way which during when it boot you can pick which OS to run. it better to do dual boot as it will hide the windows files of the other OS.

you can activate both. I done this a million times. I use to dual boot the same xp. now I dual boot xp sp1 and media center edition

make the other 157 gb partiton drive, your documents drive for both systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom