• powermax

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Boss man wants be to build a refurbished 2nd hand machine for the warehouse.

Now I got an oportunity to get rid of one of my 40Gb Hard Drives that I have in my other computer.

I got a Maxtor 40Gb @ 7200 RPM and a Seagate 40Gb @ 7200 RPM in my other computer. One of them is going to get upgraded to a Seagate 80 Gb @ 7200 RPM.

Now the problem I face is this, which hard drive should I keep?

MAXTOR 40Gb :- Apart from being a Maxtor (a brand I do on trust to even pr0n), there is nothing wrong with the drive. However Maxtors in my eyes have always had a rather large failure rate.

SEAGATE 40Gb :- Worked fine..... except for the fact that 2 middle pins on the the molex connection are missing thanks to Hucules-The-Computer-Tech. Normally I trust Seagate, but with the fact that it's missing 2 pins on the molex connection, I am rather doughtful.

Both Hard Drive are 2 years old.

well if it's missing the a couple pins out of the molex connector isn't that going to prevent it from working right at all?

I don't like maxtor but it seems like you'd have to go that route

Am I right in assuming this is not a mission critical computer? I would just use the maxtor, and maybe have the seage jury rigged and gosted ready to replace it if it fails. I personally have a maxtor that I had my OS on for a year and now have a a second drive. Works fine thus far.

The Lessor Of 2 Evils

Nubius said:
well if it's missing the a couple pins out of the molex connector isn't that going to prevent it from working right at all?
It's missing the 2 middle pins on the molex connection. And it has been working for the last 12 months.

digitaloracle said:
Am I right in assuming this is not a mission critical computer?
Not really. However it is my Download box and the box that I author DVDs on. So it does see a lot of work.

At the end of the day, what ever drive I do keep is just going to have Windows Installed on it. So if the drive does die, the only thing I am going to loss i about 2 hours in re-install every thing.

Even though I hate Maxtors, I have deside to keep it. It's only the OS and program files that I am keep on it. So nothing I can't replace.

Well the chassis ground is the same thing with two pin's. Hold the harddrive up in the air and it wont work anymore.

Their's nothing really wrong with the seagate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom