In need of help. Processor Upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

Beta member
I've got a HP Pavillion 6545C. I think It's pretty much like it came out of the box still. Well, I put in some ram and another hard drive.
Anyways, I want to upgrade it to run an AMD Athalon XP Processor.

When it comes to processors and chipsets/motherboards I don't know anything. So, could somebody tell me what I need to do?
The help would be very much appreciated.

Also, would it be cheaper to just go buy a bare bones Athalon XP system?

I don't know if this will help anyone help me but my current processor is a Celeron 500mhz and the chipset is Intel 810.

Also is chipset the same thing as motherboard?

ok.......

well if you want it to run an athlon xp then you will need to buy a new motherboard. It has to be a soket A motherboard. Also what do you want to use it for do you want it to be used for gaming or just everyday computing? once you tell me that then i will help you out more. Also yeah it is more cheaper to buy a barebone. but it depends on what you want to use ur comp for to see what chipsets and what processor you get. like if you just want basic you might not even want to go with an athlon xp but if you want gaming then you want an ayhlon xp 3000 or for a little more money you could get an athlon 64. so tell me what u want to use it for.

Here's a link the socket A barebones that NewEgg carries:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=3&Submit=Property

Of course, you can pick up a decent mobo for about %50, and a case for the same or less. If you go with microATX, you PSU should cross over without a hitch, as well as all of your components (except the Celeron).

A good Athlon XP CPU will run you $105 for a 3000+ Barton with a 400FSB. A 2600+ mobile XP runs $97.

I am wanting to use it for gaming and animation creation, as well as things like personal bookkeeping. Since I know now that I will need a new mobo, I would like one that I can just replace into the case that I already have...I'm not looking to spend that much cash. The reason I ask about all this is because I found a Athlon XP processor for $50 and I feel like I can't pass it up. If you need to know anything else just ask. And thanks for all the help.

ok

what type of athlon xp did u get? is it an xp 3000+? anyways if u want to game and do animation creation then suggest a good asus bord but that will go for about 60-75 so if you want cheaper chaintech motherboards to me are cheap but good. this one comes with the nvidia nforce 2 ultra 400 for only 50 the nvidia chipsets are good for gaming so i think you will like this one. the newest nvidia chipset is the nvidia nforce 4, but those cost alot more so the nforce 3 should be good for you. the mobo comes with 3 ddr slots it is compatible with pc3200 ram and it is dual channel ram supported. it is good but if if u want better quality then go with asus the cheapest asus is 60 at newegg.com.
so if you have anymore questions just ask me also i dont know if it will fit in your case but i gaurantee that you will need to buy a new power supply because if it is the one it came with then it probaly wont be enough watts for your new comp so if you are going to buy a new psu then you minus well get a new case that comes with a psu, unless you just want the psu and the old case but what form factor is your case micro atx,mid tower fulltower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom