Hotlinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

BavarianWheels

Baseband Member
I'm ignorant on this. What is it, and how is it illegal?

I belong to another forum (gasp!!) and one of the posters got "yelled at" for hotlinking a photo. I didn't see the photo or the link to be able to possibly understand the difference in a "hotlink. I normally use
and haven't been yelled at yet.

Thanks.

Curious, I have never heard of this term until now. I too am interested in what it is...

So help me understand as it is still a bit fuzzy to me.

Is posting an image in a forum like this:

{img}image url{/img} using brackets of course, a hotlink?

I've never posted an image using:

"
image.jpg
"

Is there a difference or are both "hotlinks?"

Thanks for the link, Placebo. I'll go out and look for more (which I probably should've done in the first place)

The difference is if you are posting a pic that doesn't belong to you from another site, that again, doesn't belong you. Instead of posting the image from Your site. In so doing you are using the bandwidth of the other site to upload the image to the site you posted it to, not your own.

At least I think that is the case....

Any image that is displayed on one site, linked from another, is "hotlinking". All it means is that you are displaying an image that doesn't reside on the native server (using up another server's bandwidth to display an image on a different site).

Ah....then by this it means I'm guilty of "hotlinking" a whole lot of times on other forums including the forum where someone was "yelled" at for it.

I don't understand then why this one person was singled out for hotlinking when it is (in what I've seen) the norm when posting.

Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom