network files keep freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmur

Beta member
Hi all

recently installed new 40gb HDD to rplace a burnt out 20gb one
I installed win2000 pro onto it and renamed the new HDD exactly the same as the old one. I then connected this to the network using TCP/IP and can see the network and drives clearly. I then installed office 2000 with SP4. The problem i have is that i when i access network files including the MY DOCUMENTS folder which is pointing to a network share on the server my whole PC freezes and hangs for at least 10 mins before opening the file

This is driving me mad as everything is set up as it was before my original HDD failed

any help would be appreciated

This on a home network? Try running a ping or tracert to the location and see if there aer problems. I know the distance will be short, but it might show you something. I see something simular now and again at work, but we are connecting over 1000 miles.
How are the files setup in the folders you are accessing. If you have a lot of files just hanging out, you will see this also. The NTFS file system doesn't handle large numbers of files in a single folder very well. It gets bogged down and then slows almost to a stopping point. If this is the case for you, try moving groups of the files into separate folders. Also, areyou using compression of the files? This will cause problems as well...

just a few thoughts.

no i dont think its that, he must have some kind of conflict. it would be more obvious problem than those. i would check to see what protocols you have installed for the network card. un-install SPX/ IPX if you do not use it or make TCP/ IP higher priority (not sure how that is done, instructor told me about that). this is a common problem that i have heard of, i cannot remember the solution. someone will know this i am sure.

Hi again

Thanks very much for your answers people

sorry i didnt let you know ..it is a corporate network
I could access all the files on the network before my HDD burnt out and i havent changed them at all. I tend to agree with ek/eskine about it being a protocol issue ...but i have input the same settings as the previous HDD and can see the network and everyone else on it. Its just that when i access a file on the network it hangs. I had to install a network card as well ..it must be something to do with that....but i can see the network its just accessing it thats the problem

thanks again

David

Might want to check your network connection speed. Some corporate networks have issue with using auto detect on some NICs. you can set the actual speed buy looking at the properties for the connection, and then configuring the nic card. We have this problem with Cisco Routers that are over 5 years old. Have to set the link speed and then they work like a charm. Otherwise, you will have trouble moving a 5k file...
Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom