Need Help Picking out parts for my gaming system

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_NO_Nothing

Baseband Member
O.k. guys i want to build a new gaming machine...I would like to overclock it.
I have decided to you the Athalon 64 3500+ processor....
I need help choosing what hardware to use around that processor for maximum performance

any and all help appreciated

How much do you have to spend on it?

And don't get the 3500+. Get the 3000+ if you're on a budget, if a little larger budget, get the 3200+, if a big budget, get the 3700+.

I'll use your username to convince you of this. Just trust me, and if someone else could confirm this, please do.

I appreciate the tip...and yea..i don't know a whole lot about computers...been around them my whole life...i am just interested in building my own....

Also keep in mind...i would like to use my T.V. as a monitor....

and also what is an SLI motherboard...i have some confusion about that

and what is a SATA hard drive...i am also confused my this term

You still haven't given us your budget. Also, if there is any other information like the TV, please give.

Hmm. I don't know how to connect the TV to the PC, but I think theres either a special motherboard for it, of you have to buy an adapter-like thing.

SLi is basically using two video cards in the same system. They have to be the same design, by the same manufacturer, or it won't work. You can only do SLI with PCIexpress x16 video cards. Therefore, a SLI motherboard is a motherboard that supports having two video cards inside it, and has two PCIe x 16 slots. SLI gives you about a 75% increase in performance. So with two video cards, you'd be getting 175% the performance of just one. BUT IN SOME CASES AND SOME GAMES HAVING ONE VIDEO CARD IS BETTER THAN HAVING TWO!

SATA is a new, supposedly revolutionary type of Hard Drive. Its faster than the old PATA/IDE drives, but not by much. It also does away with the Master/Slave system. Motherboards also have to support SATA, though these days, most motherboard do. Because Hard Drives are not always running at their max, the switch from IDE/PATA to SATA isn't VERY noticeable. Its there though.

EDIT: I forgot to add, the older hard drives ran at 100 or 133 Megabytes per second (mbps). There are two types of SATA drives. SATA150 and SATAII. SATA 150 runs at 150mbps, so there isn't a huge noticeable difference. SATAII however runs at 300mbps and you will certainly notice the difference. Ofcourse, SATAII are much more espensive, and they're also somewhat rare. if you're on a budget, forget about SATAII.

Thats an excellent guide, but its somewhat long. My description should do fine. And Cruo, read my post for info on SATA.

well quite frankly the budget is pretty much wide open...but I don't want to go balls to the walls...most expensibe everything...if i can get the job done at a lower price...those types of parts have my name on em

Flanker said:
And Cruo, read my post for info on SATA.

Ok I will. Maybe I will learn a few things after my first build and be of some help to someone else. I definately know a lot more than I did just a week ago when I decided to take the plunge and do it myself.

Well you have to give me an estimate. Also, what are you going to be doing with your system?

If you're a gamer and on a low budget ($1000) then we can build you a decent system

If your budget is around $1700 then you can have a awesome rig.

If your budget is over $2000, then you will have fun =)

If its over $2500, then you will be in heaven.

Cruo said:
I definately know a lot more than I did just a week ago when I decided to take the plunge and do it myself.

I know what you mean man. A month ago, almost exactly a month ago, I knew NOTHING about building my own comp. Now, I can build a PC for anyone with any budget. I can also Overclock most Athlon 64 systems. I know so much more about RAM and video cards and stuff. But keep in mind, the learning never ends =) As for being of use to someone else, I'm helping other people now :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom