Questions about upgrading to Windows XP - please help! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComposerRyan

Beta member
Hey everyone,

My family and I are planning on upgrading our Windows 98 computer to Win XP since NO wireless adapter will work with Win 98.

We meet the system requirements for Windows XP...however, our computer is running at 375 Mhz (yes, it's pretty old) and Windows XP requires 300 Mhz. Do you think installing Win XP will cause our computer to run too slow or will it run just fine?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ryan

It will prob run to slow. I was just working on a machine the was 1.7GHz and it crawled. I would suggest you take the money you were gonna spend on XP and buy a new computer. You can get a few ou there for aobut $300. IF not an option stick with 98. XP will run very slow on that machine.

actually, if you set up the computer to run on best performance instead of best appearance you will be able to use XP, it will just not look at fancy as a new computer

True. It will still be slow compared to 98. Even when tuned for best performance.

Makaveli213 said:
It will prob run to slow. I was just working on a machine the was 1.7GHz and it crawled. I would suggest you take the money you were gonna spend on XP and buy a new computer. You can get a few ou there for aobut $300. IF not an option stick with 98. XP will run very slow on that machine.

??? You couldn't get it to run fast enough on a 1.7. You musn't of confiured it very good then. What were the specs on this pc?

All you have to do is upgrade the ram to 512mb(sdram), turn off the eye candy and you will be fine. it won't move as fast as a new computer, but it won't drive you crazy in this setup

EricB said:
All you have to do is upgrade the ram to 512mb(sdram), turn off the eye candy and you will be fine. it won't move as fast as a new computer, but it won't drive you crazy in this setup
i agree with this. i upgraded a computer with 64MB ram to 320MB ram and the difference was night and day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom