CPU Usage Whack!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flanker, I got plenty of RAM available.

apokalipse, is there some way I can locate this 16-bit process? Anyway I can check your hypothesis?

David

I figured out how to recreate the problem!!!!

When ever I go to standby, and then come back, I get this behavior. No wowexec.exe running though.

Does that help?

David

Hey,

Nah, it says right on it: "CPU ussage". And when I come out of standby, like I said, nothing is eating CPU except task manager. Although, at the footer, it says 30-50% cpu usage.

Grrr...

David

Yes, I do.

The plot thickens, I fif about three standby attempts (followed by reboots) and I got the " wowexec.exe" on the third try and all of the standbys have shown this annoying habbit of chewing cpu. The odd thing is that this " wowexec.exe" displays using no RAM.

David

do you have any anti-virus software that runs in the background, sometimes they do scans while you do stuff. although i dont see why that wouldnt show under processes anyway.

I'm starting to narrow in on the cause.

It has something to do with the sleep function. In the BIOS when I set my sleep setting to "ACPI S3 (Suspend to RAM)" it does just that, suspends the system to RAM and then when I turn it on, I get everything back and I don't get this funky problem.

When I use this other setting... S1 I think, thats when it does the normal sleep mode, but it come back on with this weird CPU chew issues. Is there anyway in Windows I can better configure these options?

Thanks.

David

a lot of people have had problems with suspending their computer. If S3 works, keep it at that.
I'm no Microsoft programmer, so I wouldn't be able to tell you why S1 does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom