replacing mobo/graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigy

In Runtime
ok, i have a dell dimention 2400, purchased october 2003. *sigh*

i want to upgrade my graphics but i know the dimention 2400 has only a pci slot, so im planning to buy a new mobo for my computer with a pci-e slot and a pci-e graphics card

a friend says that my cpu, which i plan to take out of my current mobo and replace into my new mobo, is a socket 478 cpu.

is there any way to verify that? and is it easy to take out a cpu from a mobo?

also are there any other compatability issues i need to asses or look out for? Lastly, im not sure if my case is a large ATX tower, or mini-atx or what? i i measure it, can i give you guys the measurments and would you be able to tell me?

thanks a lot.

also, please dont flame me for have a dell, or a 2400 or not getting another computer or anything.

i was planning untill now to get a new computer, but i decided that this would be much cheaper.

Best advice?

Strip your comp (CPU, hard drive, optical drive, floppy).
Buy a new case.
Buy a new PSU.
Buy a new mobo.
Put everything in the new case.
Reinstall your software.

While you're at it, you may want to price a new CPU and hard drive... since you have it all taken apart and all.

Yeah, you can't really put a new mobo (motherboard) in the Dell's case, even if it is the right form factor. Computer companies (Dell, HP, Gateway) have weird cases where certain things are different, such as the screws will line up differently. You may be able to get one to fit, but buying a cheap case is a better idea and it'll give you room for upgrading however you like.

dells are meant to not be upgradeable thats why people dont buy dell, they build their own

seriously, you think that the dell case is skrewed so i wouldnt be able to put a micro-ATX mobo in it?

i know that building my own would be "better" but i dont have the money. i have the money, plently of it to get the computer, but once i get a router/moniter im over the edge.

that and my parents think its a bad idea for a fourteen yearold to have his own computer in his rooom

the family dells mostly mine so i though I'd just upgrade it.

perhaps, could i email or contact dell in some way and ask them about putting in a new mobo.

but i guess i could buy a new case for 50 bucks. would that psu on the new case prolly be better htan the psu on the dell?

thanks.

i can get you a computer for 650 dollars a monitor and computer for 750 dollars and a router monitor and computer for 800 dollars, is that to much?

and any psu is better then the one dell supplies unles you get the same one. lol

www.ibuypower.com

Click on the link, the AMD PCI EXPRESS PC $509 one is good. It $509 base price, you can add stuff but even the base price with the basics is a good PC IMO. The video card is pretty decent too. 6200 supposedly isn't compatible w/ BF2 but I think people have run it with it. (You can always upgrade, but the 6200 is pretty good)

If you have a dell they are setup so you have to use their hardware. If you want to build your own you can check out Newegg.com. If you want a system thats fully upgradeable build your own or buy a custom system. You can check out my website. click on my website link above.

*sigh*

i had a great computer ready to be bought all parts from newegg for 550, but my parents dont want me to have my own so im limited to upgrading the home computer.

so...

lets see:

50 dollars for tower case with a reasonable PSU

about 100 dollars for a not-top-of-the-line but good-enough mobo with pci-e slot (would this be a feasable price?)

275 dollars for a pci-e graphics card

so overall 425 plus tax...ahhh not much less than getting a whole new computer, but then again, im upgrading some of the most expensive parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom