Help, help, help - Expert assistance please

Status
Not open for further replies.
There IS no Windows 98 repair console...other than the bootdisk itself, which is not practical.

Ensure that the jumper settings on the harddrive are correct. If it was a master drive and it is a slave drive now, then the jumper settings need to be changed. Most harddrives have a guide to jumper settings on the top of the drive.

I'm stumped.

The jump settings are correct - well I think so! On the second hard drive they are set to slave but the first hard drive doesn't have a guide on the top but I have left these untouched. There are two jumps on the first hard drive. :::: One going down on the left hand pins and one going across at the top of the 2nd and 3rd row.

I know that the power is plugged in and the leads are correct but when I switch on it is not finding the hard disk at all. I've set the bios to search for one on the initial settings but nothing.

Any further advice ??

Thanks

I've checked and the jump settings are correct.

I should mention that this is a very very old computer. It was an Windows 95, doesn't have usb ports and I can't even connect up my cd writer to it as the cable leading to the cd drive only has one connection on it. I tried using the one from the a drive but its now showing a 3 1/2 and 5 1/2 floppy drive!

I really am now at my wits end! It must be reading the second hard drive as a 5 1/4 floppy drive B. I tried clicking on it and it came up with the device not ready error message.

I tried running an fdisk but I didn't have a clue what I was doing so I left it at that!

Please, I really really need anybody's help.

Win 95 OSR2/98/Me in a FAT32 cannot access NTFS partitions. Get 3rd party hardware to alter the contents, or read the contents. You could always try and put it in a system that has XP with NTFS and set the drive as a slave. I believe there is software to get 98 to read a NTFS partition, since your system is old you may not have this installed and will want it.

EDIT: I believe the reason is because it sees the old os on there and thinks it a dual boot system even though its hosed. Thus, it will have trouble reading the other table.

Thanks for your reply.

I have to admit that I didn't understand a word of it :confused:

Could you break it down a bit for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom