Does applying thermal paste void CPU warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
trying either a bios update. or would a desktop temperature monitor program work. dont they get temp read outs from the bios, anyways just try speedfan or MBM5 and see what you get

MBM5 doesn't have my motherboard =/ and any temperature program that I try to use in windows, like Everest and Speedfan, freezes as soon as I start it up. Same with 3DMark03 and 05. For Everest, it freezes when its "Scanning PCI devices."

I just took off my HSF and put it back on again. The temps haven't changed, but also, the thermal tape on the bottom of the HSF rubbed off on the processor, so the proc is now also covered with a thin translucent layer of thermal tape. So apparently, the HSF is making contact with the proc.

i dont think removing the heatsink and replacing it was a good idea. i say you shuold just clean it off and put some nice cheap OCZ ultra 5+ which is the exact same thing as AS5 but cheaper on there and see what happens

I already have AS5, its sitting on my desk in front of me right now, but the reason I don't do it is because of the title of this thread. I'm afraid it will void the warranty, and I don't have any cleaner, and no alcohol either.

A person on the OC forums is telling me the best thing to do is to RMA it, which is what I'll probably do. I hope they take it back with the thermal paste rubbed onto the proc. Also, I don't have the green foam thing that the proc and HSF came in, so thats gonna be a huge problem.

i highly doubt putting AS5 on it will void the warranty

Refund:

* CPUs can only be refunded within 7 days of the invoice date. All CPUs returned for refunds must be postmarked within 7 days of the invoice date, no exceptions.
* All refunds, including defective and DOA CPUs, will be charged a 15% restocking fee.

Physical damage to any item voids that product's warranty. Improper clocking or installation of CPU fans may cause CPUs to chip and/or burn. CPUs that are chipped, burnt or have bent pins are considered physically damaged and will not be replaced/refunded. This may include but is not limited to improper handling and/or any kind of physical damage not caused by normal usage. Bent pins are a common occurrence on physically damaged processors. Forcing the CPU into place will rarely solve the problem and may result in your warranty being voided. Because AMD and Intel do not accept physically damaged processors from Newegg.com, Newegg.com will return any physically damaged CPU to the customer at the customer's expense.

Yes thermal paste will VOID your warranty. Once you remove your heatsink it needs to be cleaned and new paste applied before you re-install. At that point you have voided your warranty.
If your temp gets up around 50 c and you have re-installed your processor without cleaning and new paste not applied you very well could burn or chip your processor. If you clean off any thermal paste they will know you cleaned it it should be returned with the stock paste and also numbers need to mach with heatsink.. Hope this helps.

It did, but I also emailed RMA@Newegg.com with that question, so I should have a definite answer soon.

Its pretty much set that I'm going to RMA Replacement this thing.

just rma get a new one, and make sure you install it properly, lol, i bet you did but just sit the processor in the pins, pull the lever all the way down aruond the plastic thing sticking out. place the heatsink firmly on the cpu and lock the heatsink in place. plug the heatsink in and turn on your computer. give it a couple of days to burn in and see what your temps are

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom