Where should I put the heat sensor? Also a few other q's

Status
Not open for further replies.

kessomatt

Solid State Member
Ok I bought the aspire x navigator, and it has 2 heat sensors for the front lcd. The box says to tape it to the cpu, but what about the other one? Exactly how and where would I tape it to the cpu? Using electrical tape? Not new to computers but it is my first build.

aspire xnavigator case with 6 case fans(500w supply, 2.0 standard)
pentium 4 3.6(660)
1 wd raptor 74 gig
1 wd 320gig 7200 sata
1 gig corsair xms2 667
xfx 7800gtx
viewsonic 191b 19 inch
2 LG dvd burners
asus P5nd2-sli delux

I probably should have got a different mobo, I didnt realize they had so many problems until it shipped. I do not plan on OCing it, which is where everyone is having problems, hopefully they fix the bios by the time I need to OC. Also, I am going to use stock heatsink and fan until I need to OC, the six fans on the case should keep things safe.

One other thing, do you reccomend setting up the hard drives in a paticular way?

should have went with a DFi nF4-Sli and a eVGA 7800GTX, your going to have problems with the XFX, anyways you can just tuck the heatsensor between the socket and the cpu i believe and just stick it under there, as for the second one, just put it on your GPU or on your hdd. i would set the raptor for your OS and the larger one for just storage.

i would also get a different psu, usually psus that come with case are bad quality and just cheapy

Thanks for the info. The XFX has a lifetime warrenty(even if I sold the card) so it should not be a problem. I am a little edgy on the asus board, hopefully things will go smooth. The PSU has all the latest connectors, and it is a 60 dollar unit. Is there a way to test the thing before I even hook it up?

The power supply is aspire 500 watts. Its got dual 12v(do I really need this?) I was looking at the ocz power supplys and they do not have dual 12v rails.

Well, I've got a Aerocool Gatewatch TEMP & FAN controller. I used thermal tape to keep my sensors in place. THe controller has 4 sensors. CPU which instead of putting it directly on the CPU, I put it on one of the top fins of my zalman 7000 HSF. (The reason I did this is because I would much rather monitor the temp of the HS. - I can already get the temp of the core from the ASUS utility or the BIOS. - So seeing the CORE at say, "38C" then seeing the HS at say, "30C" shows me that the heat is being dissipated properly.
I've done the same with my VGA. The sensor for the CASE is placed near the top of the case, "HEAT RISES" and my HDD sensor is taped to the middle of my WD RAPTOR 10,000rpm.

Funny thing is, the HDD is always the hottest of all of them. Anywhere from 35C to 40C during heavy read/writes....

This is just my way of setting up the controller sensors, it's not the right way or the wrong way.

Heyyo,

Now guys, xfx in general doesn't suck. Their first version of the 6600GT did blow badly, but they've learnt from their errors I bet, no company likes RMA's. I have a bud that has the 2nd revision of xfx 6600gt and he's plenty happy, never had a prob with it. Plus, the bundled games are retty sweet for almost no price diff.

And btw, for the cpu heat sensor, yeah, usually for ASUS mobos you can find a little opening on one of the sides you can slide the heat sensor through, then use eletric tape (safest solution I say).

Now I'm sure it comes with HD heat sensors too, just tape them on one, or if you have more stick it so it's between 2.

Thanks for all the info guys. Well after reading up on the power supply that came with my case, I started to get a little paranoid. So I went out and bought the OCZ powerstream 600w. A bit of overkill, but I know I will SLI my setup when the prices come down some more, and after spending all that money on the computer I may as well have a good PSU.

I will be putting together everything tomorrow, im just a little nervous as I have never mounted a processor before. Also, do you think I should buy a cheap voltmeter just to make sure the motherboard isint grounded before I connect to the PSU? I keep reading horror stories about "fried this fried that".

One more thing, the power supply has 2 cables specially wrapped in powershield tubing, for vga/hdd. I have 2 sata hd's, and the sata connectors from the psu are not all done up like the dedicated hdd/vga ones. The hard drives will take sata power OR regular 4 pin. Would it make sense to use the better powershielded 4 pin power plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom