AMD 2600 XP is it good for games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elperra

In Runtime
Hi. I am about to build my second computer and I can get a AMD 2600 XP is this good enough for newer games or should I get an AMD64 Bits 2800? this are the only Processors that I can afford at the moment.
Also what motherboard do you recommend for the 2600 XP?
Thanks.

It depends what games you want to play. The 2800 is obviously better, and it is also 64-bit.

Thanks for replying. The newer games that I mean are, Doom3, Battlefield2. I would like to get the 2600 Xp because it is cheaper, but if I can't run this games with it, than maybe I will go for the 64bits.

The Athlon 64's are faster than the XP's, but I am not sure on how much. If your mobo supports the 64's, then go for it, it's better in gaming. Try to get a 3000+ though if you can afford. If you can get 64's, 3000+ is probably the lowest you want to go to get good performace. (Same with the xp's). BF2 will play on less powerful ones, but you'll pay for it in FPS.

Also try to get a gig of RAM for BF2. It'll run on 512MB, but it's horrible.

I run a 2400+ athlon xp and i can still run the latest games. Whatsmore I still expect to run them for the next 18 odd months as well. Admittedly I do have 1024mb ram and a 128mb graphics card. But I run half life 2 and farcry on medium to high settings. So what I would say is the 2600 xp as a budget option would not disappoint

hey dude i have a athlon 2500 xp and it rapes i overclock it to 2.31ghz 210fsb it runs bf2 really great is good on programs also make sure u get a 512kb cache itleast, 256 is a no no

If you can, you should definitly go 64 bit. The XPs are older generation CPUs (they are good though), while the 64s are newer. IF you cant cuz of budget restraints, okay. But if you CAN, definitly go 64 bit. For example, a 2800 64 would destroy a 2800 XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom