New gaming pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 5200FX that I currently have is a POS. Its a HUGE HUGE HUGE bottleneck to the rest my my system. If it bottlenecks my 3200, imagine the bottleneck on the 3700...ouch.

The dude NEEDS to change the vid card if he wants to be called a gamer by any stretch of the imagination. The FX 5200 isn't even shown on the lowest benhmarks anymore.

Least least least he should get is the 6600GT (~$150 USD) but for a good system he should go for the 6800GT (~300 USD).

If he doesn't switch out the video card, tell him to forget about the rest of his sytem.

For the processor, 3700+ (~$300?? USD) . Its 2.4 Ghz and with a minor .4 Ghz overclock to 2.8, he can make it perform like the best processor AMD has to offer (~$1100 USD).

Because he SHOULD be switching out the video card, he should get a ass-kicking PCIexpress x 16 motherboard. I suggest one of the high-class DFI Lanparty motherboards. That with a 3700+ will be a lethal combination.

Also, for overclocking, tell him not to get value RAM, Get G.Skill RAM if possible, if not, go for PQI or OCZ. Patriot XBL RAM is perfect for the .4Ghz overclock he should do.

MOST OF ALL, GET RID OF THAT POS VIDEO CARD. I can call it a POS because I currently use it myself -.- With my system, I can only play BF2 at the bottom lowest settings because of it. If he doesn't, tell him to screw the rest of his new system.

Dose BF2 even support the 5200 withought the texture crack?'

Tell him to save more money and upgrade his CPU,Mobo and Card, or buy the CPU and Mobo and wait (oh but.. the mobo will need to have APG and PCI-e!) id suggest he waits till he can get more money together.

So far we think the plan is an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum. There are also speakers that he needs to get, dvd rw drive, and RAM. Looks like a new graphics card is out for now, but it should be a decent setup anyway.

Sprooty said:
Dose BF2 even support the 5200 withought the texture crack?'

I don't know man, I don't even know what the texture crack is, lol. But BF2 is running fine (like hell it is!). It constantly lags and freezes but my CPU is overheating at 49°C...but I can't get the settings higher than middle of the low settings without lagging like hell. Not medium settings, middle of low.

Wayniac said:
But it should be a decent setup anyway.

No way in hell man. Do you know what a bottleneck is? Even if you do, let me illustrate. Lets imagine that the rest of the system is uber good, that will be the major part of the proverbial "bottle." Unless he gets rid of the video card, the card will act as the "bottleneck." Imagine the tiny opening of the bottle. Thats all the performance you'll get from the system. You won't be getting the "full bottle" that you should, you'll be getting all that comes out of the tiny opening of the bottle.

Get rid of that vid card, or don't buy a new system.

hmmmm... bottle neck... you mean it is like something trying to go through a bottle neck!? No way!? Wow... so you're saying that the computer will be just as bad as it is now solely because his video card isn't upgraded!? That's a little goofy, don't you think?

Wayniac said:
hmmmm... bottle neck... you mean it is like something trying to go through a bottle neck!? No way!? Wow... so you're saying that the computer will be just as bad as it is now solely because his video card isn't upgraded!? That's a little goofy, don't you think?

Yes way. Thats why I'm stressing it so much. Think of it this way...a computer will only run as fast as its slowest component. Like a group only moves as fast as its slowest person. That video card will push everything else down. You'll do fine in everything that doesn't use a video card, but with games (which use a video card like all hell) your computer will perform like something from 2001, no matter how good your stuff is.

Life is goofy :(

That's what I'm saying though... right now his bottleneck is not the video card... it is some of the other stuff because it is a fairly old pc. If he upgrades he'll see a difference and later he can upgrade the video card and see even more of a difference. Besides, he only has $500 to get speakers, processor, mobo, keyboard, and RAM. He'd be pushing it if he went with a video card too.

The reason his bottleneck isn't the video card right now is because its not the worst thing in the case.

What I'm saying is, theres no point in him upgrading if he doesn't upgrade the video card. Sure, he can spend any amount of money to get whatever system he wants, but as for games, it'll perform as good as the video card performs. And the video card is BAD. The performance increase he will get won't be enough of an increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom