Is this hard drive fouled up for good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyH

Beta member
So, I inherited an external USB 2.0 Iomega 80GB hard drive from a friend. I tried hooking it up to my computer, and was able to browse files, but when I tried manually deleting them, my computer would continually hang up on me.

I then decided to reformat the drive, and began the process through Windows XP. About halfway through the process, the power in my house went out!

I tried rebooting my computer, and everything loaded per usual, but the drive was no longer showing up in Explorer. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the drive. When I do this, it pops up saying a USB Mass Storage Device has been detected, but no matter how long I wait, it never shows up in My Computer.

I tried right-clicking on My Computer & going into Disk Management, but it doesn't show up there either. In my Control Panel's Hardware Manager, USB Mass Storage Device is listed w/ a Yellow <!> next to it.

It says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

I can't reformat the drive as far as I know, because it's not being fully detected by Windows.

Any ideas how I can get it reformatted so I can use it?

It's in a sealed case. I can't open it without breaking it. I imagine it must be set to slave because it was letting be browse the files initially, and I wasn't booting off of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom