Help needed really badly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erich K

In Runtime
Okay, so I have a gateway E-3000. It use to have a 1gb hard drive but I got a new 20gb one. But now I tried to install fedora on it (even tried installing windows 98 to see if it was just the disk). But it doesnÂ’t read D:\. It just shows the loading screen and goes to dos. but fdisk doesn't work and neither does format c: and I also tried d:\setup but it says invalid drive specified. I tried using another CD drive and different cables but no dice. So basically, what do I need to do for it to read the d: drive? Any help at all is very appreciated

Make sure that you have the jumper on the back of the drive set to 'Master' or 'Cable Select'.

Also make sure that the end plug of the IDE cable is hooked up to it (unless the HD and CD are on the same cable).

Make sure that the power cable is seated good (and the IDE cable as well).

Trotter said:
Make sure that you have the jumper on the back of the drive set to 'Master' or 'Cable Select'.

Also make sure that the end plug of the IDE cable is hooked up to it (unless the HD and CD are on the same cable).

Make sure that the power cable is seated good (and the IDE cable as well).
Whats the jumper?

boy that is an old drive, seems to be set as master which is what you are looking to do, did you try and boot from cdrom from bios settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom