My computer just stopped working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VortexX

Solid State Member
I have no idea to fix this, so I come to this forum in hopes that I can get any suggestions at all.

My computer was working flawlessly before this incident FYI.

I brought my computer on vacation this summer and upon arrival back home, my computer just doesnt work at all. I noticed my graphics card was dislodged, as well as one of my harddrive bays. Upon reseating what was displaced, and making sure all my wires were tightened before starting the computer, I turned it on and feared the worst. It made all the sounds like it was working fine, then I was getting a siren beep (was like 8 beeps) and then it stopped beeping. Besides the beeping, the computer sounded like it was working fine, except NOTHING was showing on the monitor.

At first I thought it was the graphics card, but I tried 3 other graphics cards my dad had and there was no change.

Then I thought it was the monitor, I tried 2 other monitors in the house, no change.

I also thought it might be the CPU.. I attempted to reseat the CPU, and ended up bending the pins.. but I eventually aligned it properly, and upon reseating, no change.

After exhausting everything I could come up with, I bought a new motherboard, CPU, and power supply.

After replacing all the parts in my computer with those, THERE WAS NO CHANGE.

Im totally baffled as to what is preventing my computer from showing absolutely nothing on the monitor. Everything sounds like its working fine, except this motherboard doesnt display beeps which I guess that means it doesnt have a POST.

But what could be doing this? I tried disconnecting and just running the power supply, motherboard, and graphics card. It acted the same as if I had all the parts in the computer. Could a faulty cable be interfering with preventing bios from even showing? I reset CMOS on both the old and new motherboard, and to no change in the problem.

Im thinking its maybe the memory, but how could its travel on the airplane do anything to the memory? I tried alternating my 2 sticks of ram and using just 1 stick, to no sticks. Computer acted indifferently to anything I did.

Please, anyone.. I'd appreciate any insight in this matter, because Im totally confused as to what else I could do.

SPECS:

Motherboard : Abit VT7 (The one I used before was AI7)

Power supply : Mad Dog 550W (The one before was the one that came with my Aspire case - 420W)

Processor : Intel P4 2.4AGhz (The one before was a P4 3.2EGhz Prescott)

Ram : Corsair DDRAM 1GB ValueSelect

Graphics : Geforce 6800 VGA

Sound : Chaintech AV710 7.1 Surround

Double check all connections /connectors. Hard drive problem? Although i dont think it would cause this.....sry, wish i could help more. Have you tried a different monitor cable?

Yes.. 3 monitors = 3 different monitor cables I tried.. and I did swap some crappy hard-drive (and made it single) and no change. People on another forum said bad memory is the cause, which I thought was very unlikely, so I will reply with results soon.

It could very likely be a memory issue, especially if you can't even get to BIOS, BIOS doesn't require an HD or IDE drive of any sort.

Im going to take this to Bestbuy to get this fixed. Im out of ideas on what to try without spending additional money on more parts, this is becomming way too complicated..

Id recommend a computer shop over best buy. Probably quicker too. Just for kicks have u tried another wall outlet in your house? Power cable?

When I performed a barebone install outside the computer I did it in another room, so yes to outlet, and yes to power cable (I tried 2).

By the way I have no knowledge of a computer shop outside best buy in the albany area, plus I know the bus system to that store.. geek squad handles computer repair right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom