New gaming pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayniac

Daemon Poster
I have a friend here that wants to upgrade and build a mostly new pc for gaming. He currently has a 2.2 GHz Pentium 4. He wants a new processor, motherboard, harddrive, dvd burner, and speakers, however the main concern is the motherboard and processor. He likes Pentium and is a little bit uneasy about switching to AMD.

For just the processor and motherboard, he'd like under $500 and an AGP motherboard. He also would like to overclock a little bit. Any suggestions? Keep in mind that this is for gaming please. Also, he would like to know how much better AMD would be for gaming over Intel.

I dunno how to convince someone to switch processors, but a kick to the balls should work (or a punch to the ovaries, depending on gender). Also, why AGP?

AMD is always cheaper and better at gaming then Intel is, just keep that in mind.

In Canadian prices, if memory serves me right...

Athlon 64 3200+ s939= ~$220
MSI K8T Neo2-F = ~$210

Total: ~$430 CAD

The K8T has a VIAK8T800 chipset and an AGP8x, if you're looking for PCIe and an Nvidia chipset, go for the K8N Neo4-F, and for some strange reason its cheaper lol

PoisonPorkchop said:
I dunno how to convince someone to switch processors, but a kick to the balls should work (or a punch to the ovaries, depending on gender). Also, why AGP?

Why would you say to switch to AMD over Intel. Do you have reasons to back up switching it. Also, AGP because the graphics card is AGP and it is not going to be replaced.

septoid2 said:
The K8T has a VIAK8T800 chipset and an AGP8x, if you're looking for PCIe and an Nvidia chipset, go for the K8N Neo4-F, and for some strange reason its cheaper lol

How overclocker friendly is the K8T? Also, what do you think about the K8N Neo2 Platinum?

amd athlon 64 3700+ - 273 <----324 in canadian
MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUm - 94(origianal 119) after mail in rebate <---141 without rebate

total - 367 <----465 in canadian i hope i did it right

whoops need canadian prices dont i.

Anyone else have any input? I'd like to see some more responses to see what my best options are.

Any good combinations for Intel, or would everyone mostly recommend AMD?

if hes a gamer go amd.

what card dose he have? because theres no point getting a really good CPU if he has a 9200 or MMX440 or something?

in his case amd would be better cause 1. hes a gamer, they perform better and but dont perform as good in apps like photoshop and and like adobe premiere but still do good. 2. Its cheaper, supposivly a amd athlon 3200 is like a p4 3.2ghz and its alot cheaper. Also if you can get him to go amd a cheap dfi motherboard would be good. Like Sprooty said no point to upgrade but hes going to have to if he has something like those pos. Hey i have an 9600xt and i can play bf2 OK. Hes going to have to upgrade or hes going to regret it in the future. 6600gt would be best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom