Help a Newb Wanting to build a Pimp Gaming Comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How important is it to have an anti static braclet if you are going to be putting together a computer? Also do I need to look into buying a non-magnetic screw driver or does my case allow me to just snap stuff in?

if yuor not going with an anti-staitc wrist strap just make sure you dont work on carpet, always touch the case before you touch anything, and dont shuffle your feet or move around. and you usually only need a screw driver when pputting in the hdd optical drives, floppy drives, video card any pci card. and thats about it i believe.

The L90d+ is a good tn panel LCD. However I have read many user complaints about it, but at the same time many have loved it. Here's a previous post i did about the L90d+ vs the VP191B, its really up to you, with cost being an issue:

quote:Originally posted by U-Toast
i wouldnt spend the extra 100$, the 2 i showed up there are just as good as that one.

Vaderpro:

You are very incorrect. First off the L90d+ is a TN panel and the VP191B is a VA. There is no comparison to the picture quality, color and viewing angles. Quote:

"TN, IPS, VA, who that? ?

Even if you regularly follow the LCD events and our tests, it is always a good idea to remind you of all the uses of some of the LCD bases.

There are hundreds of monitor manufacturers but only a few of them build the essential component: the panel. This element gathers electronic components and liquid crystals. This is the panel that will determine the monitorÂ’s quality. Four manufacturers clearly dominate the market: Samsung, LG-Philips (in this area, these two are united), AU Optronics and CMO. Monitor manufacturers just buy a panel, design and build a bezel and combine the two of them. Now the most important part is the choice of the panel. Hundreds of products are available and are split in three families, three technologies with up and downsides.

TN panels: these are the fastest and cheapest ones. These panels are the most gifted for games but have a twinkling effect in videos and reduced viewing angles. All panel manufacturers have a TN products.

IPS: developed by Hitachi, IPS panels are ardently supported y LG-Philips and Nec. They are half-way between the TN and VA: good color quality, more or less good reaction time, very wide viewing anglesÂ…The only problem is: IPS tends to stagnate when other rival technologies progress quickly.

VA panels: launched by Fujitsu and available under the MVA denomination for AU Optronics, Sharp and CMO, PVA for Samsung, VA monitors have considerably improved LCD color quality. Until last March, however, these monitors were so slow that it was impossible to imagine them in a "gamerÂ’s" home. Then, in April, came the release of AU Optronics the Premium MVA 8 ms in the VP191bÂ…"

In the first link the Iiyama E480S 8ms panel is the same panel used in the hyundai's L90D+. They are made by samsung.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/572-5/19-lcd-monitor-survey-4-8-ms-tn-ips-va.html

http://www.behardware.com/articles/563-1/viewsonic-vp191b-mva-8-ms-tn-monitor-killer.html

You will be happy with a L90D+ or orgasmic with a VP191b...Make sure you read the 2nd post of this:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=940919&highlight=l90d+

So my question is still should I spend the extra $ to get the viewsonic? I am mainly a gamer, but I want everything to look as good as possible. I am broke but if the viewsonic would have a larger performance advantage i'll sell bodyparts to get it. Anyone else have any oppinions on which one i should get?

Another question to bother everyone....

Do you all think that I am ok with the heatsink/fan that comes with this:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819103539

Or do i have to look into getting a different one. I have hopes that the one that comes with it will be ok since i am past the money limit i wanted to be at but I will do what ever it takes to get quality stuff. Thanks and if you guys think i should get a different one please post links if you can from NewEgg

well if you arent serious OCing, right now i have about a 30% OC on my 3200+ on stock heatsink and fan. and im running around 30C idle

Flying-Squirrel said:
So my question is still should I spend the extra $ to get the viewsonic? I am mainly a gamer, but I want everything to look as good as possible. I am broke but if the viewsonic would have a larger performance advantage i'll sell bodyparts to get it. Anyone else have any oppinions on which one i should get?

I would say YES and downgrade to a evga 6800gt to save money. You can play all games very well with a 6800gt. Did you see those viewing angles on the L90D+, yuck!!!

Flying-Squirrel said:
Another question to bother everyone....

Do you all think that I am ok with the heatsink/fan that comes with this:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819103539

Or do i have to look into getting a different one. I have hopes that the one that comes with it will be ok since i am past the money limit i wanted to be at but I will do what ever it takes to get quality stuff. Thanks and if you guys think i should get a different one please post links if you can from NewEgg

Its fine unless you oc it. Worry about that later.

I don't know if someone's said this before, but I don't care, I'm saying it anyway:

If you're a competitive gamer like myself, you're going to need a good mouse, a good mousepad, and a good pair of headphones or a good headset. The keyboard shouldn't matter too much, as long as it clicks fast and is comfortable for you.

Mouse: If you're going to be using high resolutions (1600x1200) and high sensitivities, get a mouse with a high DPI, like the Logitech MX518 (what I have). Some people think it's an oddly shaped "alien mouse", but it's all down to personal preference. If you are going to be using high resolutions and high sensitivities, and you don't like the MX518's look, you might want to check out the Razer Diamondback.

However, if you are going to be playing at lower resolutions, and with a low-medium sensitivity, then you should look at the Logitech MX300 or MX310, or some of the Microsoft mice, whichever one you prefer the shape of. 1600 DPI is really overrated, TBH. There are gamers like Cooller (the Russian dude who just won the Quake III Tournament at ESWC) who use a Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1A USB, and his aim is godly. Seriously.

Logitech MX518: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826104178

Razer Diamondback: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826153103

As for headphones, it depends on what you're going to be playing, and where you're going to be playing. If you're going to be playing team games, you're going to want a headset. If you're going to be playing deathmatch games, you're going to want a nice set of Sennheisers, although a good headset will do fine as well, you'll just have to wear it with the microphone up, and generally headsets aren't as good as headphones, but they're more convenient.

The best headset I see out right now are the Icemat Siberias. Everyone says they're extremely comfortable, that they hear things a lot better when they wear them, and that they're just a good pair overall. However, they are a bit pricy. If you go to LANs, though, these things are kickass. Why, might you ask? Because they have a USB soundcard that you can use, so that even if you're not using the computer you normally use, you're going to get the same sound on ANY computer. Also, the headphones look like they're pretty good at blocking out outside sound, which is a major plus for LANs.

As for headphones, a very good pair for LANs, and the pair what I have, are the Sennheiser HD-280 Pros. The bass on these headphones is amazing, and I can barely hear anything people are saying when I wear them, which is another plus. They're comfortable, and the sound quality is just rape. However, they're also a bit pricy.

If you're on a budget, here's a link to the headset I used for a very long time, and it is by far the best I have ever used for the price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836151019

They're about 13$, and they just own. I still wear them around my neck if I'm playing CS, so I can use the microphone.

Lastly, mousepads. I'm not gonna recommend a hard surface mousepad because I've never used one, nor do I want to use one. To me, they just suck. Why? Because,

1. They cost too damn much.
2. To get the most out of them, you have to use them with Hyperglidez or Mouse Skatez (teflon mouse tape), that wears down and changes your accuracy constantly.
3. They're usually too small in size.

However, if you are interested in hard surfaces, I hear the Razer Exactmat is very nice, and that Steelpad surfaces are also very good.

As for cloth pads, I use them because:

1. They don't cost so damn much.
2. You don't have to use Mouse Skatez or teflon tape, and if you do, they don't wear out as quickly.
3. You always have more than enough room to move your mouse, so you can mess with your sensitivity more. Lower sensitivities are usually more accurate, but higher sensitivities allow you to do 180s a lot quicker, and just do more things in general.
4. They're more consistent. You don't have mouse tape that's wearing down, constantly changing how fast you use your mouse.

For cloth pads, I'd get either a Fatal1ty pad (Fatpad) or a QcK+. I use a DKT pad, and it's mad nice, but I can't find anywhere to buy it.

http://gear.gotfrag.com/?module=product&sku=S03-M01-STEELQCKP

is where you can get the QcK+, and Fatal1ty.com is where you can get his mousepad. Btw, incase you haven't heard of him, he's pretty much the #1 PC Gamer in the world.

I can't believe I just wrote all this, but whatev, I hope someone benefits from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom